Small pullet struggling and laying LARGE eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suchcutenails, Aug 30, 2016.

1. suchcutenails

suchcutenails Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a 20 week old Easter Egger, Ramona, who is the smallest, runtiest chicken I own. She has been laying eggs for almost three weeks now. The first four were small, as I expected them to be, and came on back to back days. Now she is laying large, 2.0 - 2.2 oz eggs, and laying every two or three days. At first, I was worried that she was egg bound. She was in and out of the nest, and really struggling to lay. Then finally, after seeming to labor for two days, she laid her huge, beautiful, minty green egg. Each time since then, it is the same. She really seems to have a hard time laying, and I'm a little worried about her. Should I be? She squeals, and pants, and the roosters get very fussy over her. [​IMG] Is there anything I can or should do to help her? She eats and drinks like all the other girls. ~ although right after she lays, she stands in the water pan cooling off, guzzling water, and panting. It seems like watching a 5' tall, 100 pound woman naturally deliver a 12 pound baby...every other day! [​IMG]

Here she is next to my SLW boy, same age. She is SO tiny compared to him and all the other girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Don't worry. Those large eggs are likely double yolkers, and they are very common for new layers. It can take a few months for their egg-laying system to 'normalize'.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's not really anything you can do for her but sympathize [​IMG].

New layers go through all sorts of weird things. Sounds like she's got a glitch in her system that's just going to take some time to work out.

4. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    WOW! Poor girl. No suggestions, just wanted to sympathize

5. suchcutenails

Apr 8, 2016
    Okay! Thanks!!! Hopefully things will get easier on her as she gets a bit older!

6. suchcutenails

Apr 8, 2016
    Okay...I need more help. This same little hen (pullet...she's about 24 weeks)did seem to get on a more regular schedule with normal eggs. Then this morning, she was in the nest for about 3 hours trying to lay. Four other girls went in and out of the other box and laid while she just struggled. She squealed a lot throughout the time she was in there. I was expecting another huge egg, but it was normal medium size. But now, she's walking kinda hunch backed, and not eating or drinking. There is something definitely off about her. She seems to have the symptoms of being egg bound, but she laid this morning. Is that possible? She has been laying everyday.

7. suchcutenails

Apr 8, 2016
    I think I'm going to post this in the emergencies section just to see if I can get get some help! Thanks!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take a good look at her vent and abdomen make sure nothing obvious is amiss....if you're not sure take some clear pics and post.

Some do often squeal a bit and can sit for quite while when laying.

9. suchcutenails

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you so much! There is nothing obvious there that I can see, except there is something soft that almost feels like a hemorrhoid? This is her. She did poop since I put hey in this cage! That was my biggest concern
    [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm....... she could be having a partial prolapse.
    Maybe do some reading up on prolapses...hopefully see some pics of examples and treatments.
    I'd keep her isolated and a close eye on her rear end and what comes out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by