Small quail cage build

CaptainCupcake

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Northern California
I know it’s too early to post anything, but honestly I’m just so proud of myself of what I’ve made so far haha. I want to make a large stacked quail cage, but since I’m not really good with tools, I decided to make a small one before I attempt a big one, and this is what I’ve got so far!

E0CA088B-1D1B-46CD-92CB-921D1F45DB4B.jpeg
I first found the “poop tray” on Amazon (it’s a 14 x 18 cafeteria food tray, about $4), then figured out my measurements to fit around the tray. In only used two 2x2’s, and cut them into lengths of 14”, 15”, and 18.5” (2 pieces each length per 2x2; 4 pieces each length total) I found the paint at my local Ace Hardware as an Oops paint- only $8 for a gallon! And the wire was from an old rabbit cage someone was giving away on Facebook. Trying to decide if I want a solid back and top. But I’ve got scrap hardware cloth for the floor, and more wire for the front. All in all, it only cost me about $20 out of pocket, and I’ve got enough paint to paint 100 more 🤣

If I did my math right, it’s going to be about 2 square feet of space. If I make another one this size, I’d probably make the 14” and 18.5” pieces 1/2” shorter, so the cage fits the tray more snuggly. I’ll post more pics when it’s done 😊

I know it’s too early to post anything, but honestly I’m just so proud of myself of what I’ve made so far haha. I want to make a large stacked quail cage, but since I’m not really good with tools, I decided to make a small one before I attempt a big one, and this is what I’ve got so far!

View attachment 2469647
I first found the “poop tray” on Amazon (it’s a 14 x 18 cafeteria food tray, about $4), then figured out my measurements to fit around the tray. In only used two 2x2’s, and cut them into lengths of 14”, 15”, and 18.5” (2 pieces each length per 2x2; 4 pieces each length total) I found the paint at my local Ace Hardware as an Oops paint- only $8 for a gallon! And the wire was from an old rabbit cage someone was giving away on Facebook. Trying to decide if I want a solid back and top. But I’ve got scrap hardware cloth for the floor, and more wire for the front. All in all, it only cost me about $20 out of pocket, and I’ve got enough paint to paint 100 more 🤣

If I did my math right, it’s going to be about 2 square feet of space. If I make another one this size, I’d probably make the 14” and 18.5” pieces 1/2” shorter, so the cage fits the tray more snuggly. I’ll post more pics when it’s done 😊
Sounds cool! :)

Likely! I was thinking it would make a nice quail jail for a misbehaving coturnix, or a good brooder for a couple of weeks.

“Quail Jail” 🤣🤣 now I need to change my paint job! Lol

I’ve got a bunch of coturnix quail. I figured I can use this as either a “quail jail”, a quarantine cage for any medical issues, or if I want to try breeding a couple specific ones together to see what they make lol. Also, they hatched from celadon eggs so I might use it to see who ends up laying blue eggs lol.

Back
Top Bottom