Small reliable bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heathero617, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I was asked what I wanted for my Birthday, well I have not been able to come up with anything until now....I'd like an incubator...yes, that is what my Birthday wish is this year! My question is this, I do not intend on hatching dozens upon dozens of eggs, just a few here and there so I don't need a big honkin bator. Are there any small incubators that are maybe for a dozen at a time? I would think that it would be a waste of energy to heat and humidify an entire full sized bator for only a few little eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking for a used one with no luck, apparently everyone where i live use their broodies to incubate and not a bator.

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You might be better off looking at the BYC bator design section and building you own. I went the cheap route and bought a Little Giant for $40 at Tractor Supply, then spent $40 for the egg turner, then $10 for a computer fan, and $15 for temp & humidity gauges. Only to have 1 healthy baby chic out of around 3 doz fertile shipping eggs that cost around $60. So do the math, that is probably the most expensive Columbian Wyn chic of all time!!!!

So not sure where your getting your hatching eggs, but it sounds like you don't want to spend much money on a bator and in my experince if you don't spend enough to get something with decent quality, you'll just be wasting your time and upset with unsuccessful hatches.

From now on, I'm just going to buy from a hatchery or use a broody hen and not mess with it. So I'll sell you all my crap if you wanna buy it [​IMG]

3. chickenfarmer17

chickenfarmer17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Preston County WV
    what about a brinsea mini it holds 7-12 eggs

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Thanks, i think >blankstare<

5. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Thank you, i'm going to look into one since that would be perfect!

6. colebarnhart

Quote:IMO, those are way too expensive and better off buying a Genisis hovabator. I was thinking you wanted to hatch maybe a doz, but if you're wanting something really small then check the link below. It's priced way better than the brinsea mini for what you get.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=272

7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:IMO, those are way too expensive and better off buying a Genisis hovabator. I was thinking you wanted to hatch maybe a doz, but if you're wanting something really small then check the link below. It's priced way better than the brinsea mini for what you get.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=272

Thanks but i've not heard anything good about these. Maybe i'll just guide my family to the nearest website and get a "typical" one and just not fill it.

8. colebarnhart

There were some posts on here a few days ago and a lot of people recommend a certain brand that was offering a really good discount and maybe free shipping for the next few months, or something, but it wasn't that expensive, and as I said it seemed to get RAVE reviews. But it wasn't Genisis or LG, it might have been the brinsea company eco or octogon or something. Anyway, check it out if you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by