small rhode island red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixaregreat41, Aug 11, 2013.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Hello I have a 3 month old rhode island red and she is so tiny I find she is small esspecially when I think she will be laying eggs in a couple months though they did not recive grower will that make a different

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What have you been feeding her? Grower feed and/or extra protein can only help.

3. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Hi There,

Sometimes, a chicken just doesn't develop properly. I assume you have others that have developed normally? She just might never reach full weight or... she might catch up. I've read/seen it happen both ways. I don't think growth enhancer will really make a difference as something is fundamentally wrong/different about her. But, if you want to try the growth enhancer or whatever it is you have, it can't hurt as far as I can tell.

What I would suggest is that you make sure she's getting enough food. Often, the smaller chicks are lower in the pecking order so they may not get to eat as often as the others or when they do, the food quality is lower by the time the others pick out the good stuff. You can do this by providing multiple feeding stations. Another way to do it is to somewhat hand feed her, to make sure she's getting enough to eat.

I have a smaller Black Australorp that didn't seem to be getting to eat as often as the others. She's lowest in the pecking order and they'd chase her away. So, I started to feed her from a cup when I'd see her off from the others. We had a routine, me and her, where she'd hang out in the coop in the morning after the others went out to free range and I'd feed her then. We did the same thing at night. She learned quickly that I would get her special times to eat. Another thing that was sort of funny and shows that chickens can quickly learn. I'd feed them a special treat about every other day (ground up kitchen scraps and hard boiled eggs). I would put down 3 or 4 little plates for the chickens with the treats on it and then call "Luna, Luna" (that was her name) and I'd hide a plate of food behind an obstacle, out of sight of the other chickens. Luna, the little Australorp, would come running for her special, solo eating time. She quickly learned what I was doing and would look for me to call her once the others were happily distracted eating.

So... I'd just suggest, using whatever method works for you, that you make sure your smaller RIR is getting enough to eat. This is the best thing you can do and then nature will decide the rest.

Guppy

4. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    One other thought... if your RIR is really, really small compared to the others, she may get trampled by the others. I had a 3 week old chick that was just not growing. I made sure she got enough to eat but... the main problem was she was getting trampled/knocked around by the other chicks that were growing like weeds and much bigger than she was. In this case, this small chick eventually died despite all the extra care I tried to give her. Again, something was just not right in her development. In her case, I think her digestive system or ability to metabolize food was not working properly as she ate well but never put on weight.

So, you may want to watch for this with your RIR. If she's so much smaller than the others, she may get trampled. If this is the case, you can try to make sure they have a lot of space so she's not crowded with the others and more likely to get stepped on. Or, you could isolate her away from the others. Isolation has it's problems, however as it will be hard on her to be alone. If you have another chick that she gets along with and is gentle or smaller, you could put them together? Anyway, think about this and see what might work for you and for the little RIR.

Guppy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by