Small roo, big hens.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochunk, Nov 30, 2011.

1. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    We have 7 regular sized hens (2 of which are still immature) and 1 7 month serama rooster and I was wondering if its possible for him to fertalize the hens and produce offspring considering the size difference.[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:is possible, all depends of the hens let him be the boss, some hens are very agressive and like to test their roos before they let him be the boss...

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    it might take a few tries, but inj the end most banty roos get there [​IMG] รง
    i had a tiny serama roo and when ever id put eggs of his hens under a broodie or in the bator, we would get at least 40% hatch rate, and the offspring are VERY healthy, i suppose it is the genetic diversity... [​IMG] hope this helps

luke.

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    When I first introduced my small-ish (not like a Serama, but still 3# or so) Cubalaya cock to our flock the larger hens weren't enthused. He mounted my gigantic BCM hen, and managed to hang on after she bolted. The kids called him Prince but I wanted to name him Cowboy.

They love him now. I gave away our huge old rooster early in the summer. He had them all roughed up, in dire need of saddles. Now they are feathering in great. He also seems to be a better protector. He is much more conservative about hawks - he wants ALL the girls under cover if one is near. The big guy didn't worry about them much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by