1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small Rooster vs. Large Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curlydogs2000, Mar 27, 2012.

1. curlydogs2000

curlydogs2000 New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Hi there,
    I'm new to BYC and have a sillly question.
    Can small Mylasian Serema Bantam Roosters complete the task of Fertilzing my average standard size hens?
    We have a variety of hens both Bantam and Standard but have Three Small Serema boys constantly mounting the ladies.
    Is this possible for him to actually fertilize her or is the size difference an issue?
    Also, My duck enjoys mounting the chickens also? Will those eggs be fertilized?
    Sorry, New to poultry in the last couple years, Just starting to let the girls hatch some of their eggs.
    thanks
    tracy

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

my silkie roo was able to do it for my hens GLW and RIR

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they make contact, the seramas can fertilize the eggs of the standard sized hens - possible but not probable. The only thing accomplished by your drake mating your hens is the possibility of a prolapsed oviduct. Roosters do not have penises, drakes do. The bodies of hens are not programmed for the insertion of objects. The drake mating your chickens is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. curlydogs2000

curlydogs2000 New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    good to know, thank you so much, I'll see what I can do to curb his enthusiasm, I just got 9 new ducks so soon he will have more girls of his own type to romance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by