Small Rooster with Blistered/Frozen feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I<3myseramas, Dec 16, 2008.

1. I<3myseramas

I<3myseramas New Egg

Aug 21, 2008
    Loon Lake Washington
    Hi there,

I have a 9 month old Serama Rooster, Levi.

Appears to have large blisters between his toes... Stiff toes, Can walk but unstable... Eating and drinking fine. Has been on Oxytetracyline for a respotory problem.

He was fine last night, I checked them about 9 P.M. He is in a Portable A-Frame coop, indoor portion and a 5 1/2 foot run off the back... They have a heat lamp on 15 hours 4PM-6AM. Getting a protien breeder mix by purina...

It hit -6 last night, not sure what to do with him...

I have 2 other hens that have small blisters between thier toes but the are not stiff...

I live in eastren Washington...

Thanks!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It has also been very cold here. I would make sure they have a draft free place to go. If you can add some extra bales of straw for added warmth.
    I would also but neosporin on the sores. Best of luck.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm... blistering due to cold is not a good sign... it's a sign of freezing damage to the tissues... I'd try to find a way to keep the ones getting frost bit warm, lest they lose their toes.

4. I<3myseramas

I<3myseramas New Egg

Aug 21, 2008
    Loon Lake Washington
    Oh my![​IMG] That is not good... I will have to think of a heated place to put him and the 2 little hens... any other advise?[​IMG]

5. I<3myseramas

I<3myseramas New Egg

Aug 21, 2008
    Loon Lake Washington
    OK. So I put him and the 2 hens in a stock tank with about 6" of shavings, It is in a building that stays at 60 F or so... Is there any thing I should watch for?[​IMG]

Thanks!

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Whoa! That's cold. I didn't think Seramas could stay out in weather like that. Frost bite or hypothermia are definite possibilities. With the frostbite, watch for blackening toes/feet/comb/wattles. Any dead extremities will eventually fall off, and it is extremely painful.

Glad you found a warmer place for them. Good luck!

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep an eye out for infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by