Small roosters...regular size hens...can they breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeautifulPacificNorthwest, Jan 30, 2011.

1. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

BeautifulPacificNorthwest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    This may sound like a silly question, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

I have two Cubalaya roosters with average size hens (RR's SLW's BO's, etc...) . The roosters are mounting the hens, but I'm not sure if they are fertilizing the eggs. I've looked at the eggs to see if they are fertile, but I'm new to this and having difficulty understanding what I'm looking for. Sometimes they look fertile, other times I think it's just wishful thinking on my end.

Is it possible for a small rooster to successfully breed a larger female? If so, what complications might there be in hatching the eggs and what will the offspring be like?

Any insight is appreciated.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes and most often the babies will be a mix of the parents and medium sized. I've seen it a lot here.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Yes, my silkie got my RIR and GLW ...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

------------

THis was daddy- [​IMG]

One of the Mommies [​IMG]

Other mommy is the GLW, the daughter is in front [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I'm glad to see that it does work. My Silkie roo has been mounting some of the standard sized hens but I am unsure if he's really doing the "deed". [​IMG] He thinks he's the hottest thing since sliced bread [​IMG] The hens think he's all that, though. [​IMG]

5. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

BeautifulPacificNorthwest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you for the info. Now that I know it can happen, I'll wait to see the outcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by