Small serama hen having BAD SEIZURES? (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenaddict, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I bought a trio of seramas this fall, all are under a year old. I haven't got the hatch dates yet from the breeder I bought them from so I am unsure of the exact age. The hen in question is a grey pearl. Her weight is 463 grams. Recently I moved them out to a heated coop in the garage once they passed their quarentine time which was well over a month. Everything was fine until I reached in their coop one day to refresh the water. Her head shook uncontrolably starting out really fast then slowing down, after it stopped she began acting like a normal hen again like nothing had happened. SHE has just gone broody and I went to take video of her last night so I can share with you all. Seems everytime I put my hand in her nest box she has a bad seizure? DO chickens even have seizures? As far as i know she has never been sick and they have been seperate from my flock since I got them just because the rooster doesn't get along with the flock also for breeding purposes. Her bedding is pine shavings, she eats/drinks like any normal chicken, poop is normal, no funky smells coming from her at all, crop is just fine and she is not egg bound. There is no way for her to have injested anything poisonous and absolutely no mold in her coop. I brought her in last night to check her for mites or any kind of wound and found nothing. I put her back in her coop in the garage with her buddies since I can't find a thing wrong with her other then this head shaking thing. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with onyx? I would really hate to loose her and am really concerned about her. Here is the video of her last night, I put my hand in there and she went to bite it so I backed it out, she is broody on top of all this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am wondering if she didn't bump her head on something or run into something to cause this? I am guessing I shouldn't breed her any more due to the issue?

3. Peepin out of the egg

Peepin out of the egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry:(But I don't know what to say!I am brand spankin new to the hole chicken thing!I don't even have any chickens or chicks yet!:(um......I have my fingers:fl crossed for you:fl:hugs and I am praying for your hen!Sorry about your girl!:hugsNo need to be hiding under a chair![​IMG][​IMG]

Yes I may spell,type,and speak good but I am only 8 years old![​IMG] dang 8 I wanna be 9 oh........wait......[​IMG]:barniedang 9!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    i had a hen do this once and it was because she had bangd her head against the coop many times (dont ask me why she did it... cause i dont know [​IMG] ) it dissapeared in a week or so, she will be fine for breeding if thats the case, has she had any kind of trauma lately???

luke.

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    No signs of trauma what so ever since I have had her. She is in with a roo and one other hen in a pretty decent sized coop for just a small trio. roosts are available and a nest box. I have never seen her run into anything and the rooster is very gentle with his girls but I suppose it is possible for her to have bumped her head or ran into the wall.... She has been 100% healthy the entire time I have had her here and she never had any issues for the breeder I bought her from. [​IMG]

I am concerned the seizures she appears to be having are getting worse and last longer and that she just may not make it thru the next one. Everytime she is the slightest bit uneasy it happens, the more stress the worse the seizure.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Does this only happen when she's on her nest and gets disturbed? The reason I ask is that my hens all do hissy fits whenever anyone (even another chicken) goes near them when they're in the nest box. I wonder if this is really a seizure at all?

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yes she does this anytime I go in there to feed, water or check them out and only then. ANytime she is stressed at all. I am pretty sure these are seizures, she has no balance or coordination during one of these episodes. If she wasn't I think she'd be able to walk, run, focus ect. Talking in a soft voice does help her calm down and shake it off

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Please please don't worry too much, even if it is a minor seizure, just keep her happy and quiet. Minor seizures (if it is one) are not painful nor fatal. Wait and see if they end after she hatches those chicks. [​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    That gives me a little hope, thank you suburbanminifarm. But the video I posted was a very mild one compared to the "hardcore" ones I have witnessed. As for the eggs she happened to be sitting on she will not be hatching them as I have run out of room for the season and only like to hatch in the spring. I fear adding broodiness on top of this is a bit too much and would rather not put her thru that. I will be taking her in the house tonight to monitor her more closely and break her of the broodiness, she just started that the other day so it shouldn't be too hard to snap her out of it. I am gonna try some polivisol without iron and maybe switch her over to just plain old chick starter and see if her condition improves.

10. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    If she's been broody for a while, could it be a bit of hypoglycemia or a vitamin/calcium deficiency?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by