Small shed as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TSW99, Oct 27, 2014.

1. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    I was looking at the sheds the other day like the small ones you might see out side of Lowes or Home depot, and Im wondering is it possible to turn one into a chicken coop? If so then the one I'm looking at is one of those thin metal ones. would I need to put ventilation windows in it?
    If anyone has done this please post a picture of yours.

2. pibblesNchicks

pibblesNchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Utah
    Yes, it is possible because that's what we've done :). You do need to be careful in both hot and cold weather because it can either turn into an oven or a freezer depending upon the conditions. Ours is an 8x10, so we were able to tuck our existing small wooden coop along an inside wall and lay bedding on the wooden floor through the rest of the shed to give them a dry place to hang out. We leave the shed doors open so they can exit as they please into the yard. Since nights are getting colder we will be adding some insulated panels along the walls and ceiling to keep it from becoming a freezer in the colder months. During the summer we will move their wooden small coop back outside for the summer.

I hope this information helps, and good luck!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    I have one and don't recommend using one.

4. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    well I live in Florida so heat is the problem, I always let my birds out early in the morning so I don't think they should get to hot. on my other coops I leave all the doors open all night and predators haven't been an issue. I think I will give it a try and see if I can put ventilation windows in it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by