Small Soft-shell Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WiMoSiFr, Sep 21, 2010.

1. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    I have 2 hens around 30 wks old that have been laying on and off for a few weeks now. I also have 3 pullets that are around 16 weeks, and I haven't had any eggs from them yet. Well, today when I checked the nest box, I noticed something strange on the floor of the coop. Turns out it was a small soft-shelled egg that was only about an inch long. It was broken and didn't have a yolk. I don't know if it was laid without one, or if a chicken pecked it out and left the rest of the egg. The shell was strange too. Reminded me of a reptile egg shell, but maybe less tough.

So, I'm wondering what you guys think. Was it from one of my young hens who've been laying for a while....eggs in a solid medium size range? Or is it like a practice egg from one of the 16 week old pullets? The pullets are Dutch Bantam/RIR cross. I'm really hoping that the young pullets will begin laying soon and make it a habit before winter. (I know, it's barely Autumn, but I'm in Germany, and the days get short fast.)

2. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I would say pullet....they're a little young but hey! Some of mine are that age and nothing it going on with them! LOL!

3. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    Man I hope so, and that this is a foreshadowing of many eggs to come. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by