Small stones for the Chickens Digestion.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eeiko321, Feb 26, 2009.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi guys

a quick question....

ive read in a few books before about providing chicken with small stones for them to eat.
    which apparently is a MUST, due to them not having teeth, so this in turn helps them grind the food down.

to be honest i dont think my chickens actually need it? as in, my chickens have actually survived withought them...

ive tried a number of times but they never seem to eat it, they ignore it.
    so i kinda gave up in trying with the stones......but i thought id ask this question since its always on the back of my head.

thanks guys

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Actually, you're supposed to give them grit, which is much finer than most small stones. If your chickens free range, they probably have found enough things outside that help them digest, I think even sand helps. Mine don't free range, so I have to give them grit. Hope this helps! Genie

3. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    I live in the desert, and my girls have a big run. I gave them grit for a while and they didn't touch it. They're getting plenty of little stones from the ground. Try putting a little bowl of grit (granite, not oyster shell) out for them and see if they eat it. If they do, great. If not, they're prolly getting what they need elsewhere. Just my $0.02. Thanks.

4. 39jdeere

39jdeere Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2007
    MINNESOTA
    Hello
    All poultry need grit, for there giz. its an aid to the digestive
    system .You may not think they are taking it but they are
    they only take as needed.
    most all your feed mills sell grit. alot of it is cherry stone
    that is ground granite. set a bowl ,or throw some in there run
    they'll find it

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    find a sand wash (or sandy bottom of a crick) somewhere and get a big bucketful put it in the coop/run... they will take it from there...

i live in the desert too... they just scratch around and pick up what they need from the yard, i dont "supply" it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by