Small stores on baby duck! How should I treat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lochloosachicks, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Lochloosachicks

Lochloosachicks Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    I'm new to ducks and I'd never seen anything like this on my chicks. I'm attaching a pic of these small sores we have seen on it. It looked as though the setting may have been bleeding. There are 5 of them all almost 2 weeks old. I haven't noticed anyone picking on anyone else.
    Behavior seems fine.

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Noodling because it's too warm in the Brooder...Cool it off so they can get out of the heat..

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  3. Lochloosachicks

Lochloosachicks Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    What does noodling mean? Should I just raise the lamp? Does the same temp and general rules apply to ducklings as chicks with the heat lamps or do they not need as much heat? Thanks!

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

Ducklings do not need as much heat as Chicks...Also if the Brooder is too small?..Noodling is using the bill and nipping

5. chickens really

Do you provide deep enough water for them?..

6. chickens really

IMG_0239.JPG

7. Lochloosachicks

Lochloosachicks Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    What is that? How deep should the water be and when will they no longer need a lamp?

8. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Preserving Orpington Bantams

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nothing looks wrong to me? It's just the skin. The temperature may be a little high as CR mentioned.

chickens really likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

ViolinPlayer123 and casportpony like this.
  10. Lochloosachicks

Lochloosachicks Songster

Jul 2, 2017
    I don't know exactly, but I'm sure it was too hot. We have 5 in about a 3ftĂ—2ft space. They are going to be moved to another space that is currently being occupied by some "teenage" chickens, which will be relocated to the "big coop" next weekend.
    We have been letting them play supervised in bath water.
    Questions...
    Will they need a heat lamp when I move them outside next week?. I'm in Texas, the weather is nice at the moment.
    Do they need constant access to water or is that something I can let them have when I am there to watch. It makes me nervous unsupervised.
    I have a pond that I am sure they will make there way to when they are older.
    With my chicks I do not usually let them free until they are old enough not to interest my barn cats, at about 8-10 weeks. I was planning the same, but suggestions are welcomed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: