1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small Tank 10~20ltr - Water Treament Methods - Help?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Willowpark4, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Willowpark4

Willowpark4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Hawkes Bay - NZ
    Hi from way down here...

Its was a little hard to find "water treatment methods" in searching for threads - so I decided to start this thread, to see if this could help me and others in the future for Small Water Treatment supply issues.

For me we use a 10ltr Plastic Paint Pail with drinking nipples attached. It needs a at least a clean out every 2weeks to stop the algae build up etc

Q: What method could I using for water treatment that it would clean and prevent algae build up for a long enough period that the tank would not be needing to be scrubbed or cleaned for longer than 2weeks!? [​IMG]

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    The best way to prevent algae buildup is to keep the waterer out of the sun. Other than that, really, only having to scrub it every two weeks is really pretty decent. A lot of people have to do it once a week or more.

I would not add chemicals to my waterer to prevent algae buildup, if that's what you're asking.

3. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    We put a piece of copper pipe in ours.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by