Small town, Indiana--bought chickens and coop-found out there is an ordinance

Sarah913

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Hello,
I live in a very small town in Indiana (sort of close to Greenfield, actually) and my husband and I bought 11 chickens and a coop in February. No sooner than we sat the coop in the yard, a neighbor came over (on the town board) and told us there was an ordinance against them.

I'm looking for any pointers or suggestions we can use to get them to make an exception or change the ordinance, etc. The chickens are getting to the age where they need to be outside and I'm considering asking the town board to hold a special meeting so we can discuss this. My small town just adopted another small town's ordinance and part of it was because our town had one resident who kept turkeys, pheasants, chickens, roosters, and did not take care of it properly, it was a mess!

If anyone as any suggestions please let me know. Can't imagine having to get rid of our chickens now plus the fact we spent a pretty penny on the Amish made coop.

Thanks!
Sarah

If there has been a nuisance related to poultry keeping, it may be very difficult to get the board to act in reversing it.
We've been successful about 70% of the time getting ordinances changed in cities around here to allow chickens.
You need to speak one on one with each board member to determine their feelings and try to get some allies on the board.
Once you've met each member, the action can be done at regularly scheduled council meetings under new business.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have worked with all of the board members in the past because I was active in the neighborhood watch, so I feel we have a decent relationship with them. The next town board meeting is the 3rd Tuesday in April--really don't want to keep them in a pen in the garage until then.
sad.png
They are ready to go outside.

The guy that kept the messy place has been gone for about 3 years and we know there are 2 other residents actively keeping chickens...but they don't live across the street from a board member.

Anyways, thanks for your suggestion. I was wondering if maybe I should get a petition going from other residents in town to see how much support we would have.

Sarah

Petitions don't hurt. The more support you can get from city residents will be critical.

Just keep your birds as you would if there was no ordinance. Move them out when appropriate and keep them clean, well ventilated and healthy. That will show that you know what you're doing.
One thing that I have found effective is to find keepers in the area with nice clean coops. Arrange a coop tour for council members so they know what they are voting for rather than some perceived horrible thing.

We bought the stuff to make the run and will put them outside tomorrow. Hopefully, it will go well. This is our first time keeping chickens so I hope we make it look good.

Thanks for your replies!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom