Small town respect.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Brad7558, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad7558

Brad7558 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    Look I grew up in a small town of 875 people at the time, and lived in places with 2,000, 45,000, 200,000, and 4 million people. I hate to say it but the smaller the place you live the less respect for the common person there is. Yes It may because they may not know you but is that any reason.
    I'm just fed up with it Right now I'm froced to living in a town that I can't stand. Long story short I never wanted to move here, but the rent was right and my wife and I could rent a house for a very reasonable price.
    People here think their so big because their the biggest town in the area. Which isn't far from anywhere, 25miles from the 2nd biggest city in the state. I understand it's a rural community and people like to be close and what not but this place is really crap.
    In the first year I lived here I was in two fights. Unprovoked by me, what so ever. One at a bar, of course, and at a gas station. Just so You know it wasn't just me I have many friends and people I have met over the years who have said the same things happened to them.
    Of course what good would it do me to call the cops. Most of the county cops live in this town and know everyone. In fact the reason I'm writting this is because one of them is riding his snowmobile 70 mph up and down the street because his buddy lives 3 houses down and is doing the work on it. Right next to a daycare of all places.
    Summer time is even worse. No one in this town knows how to use a sidewalke. They walk down the middle of the street. I live on one of the buisest streets in town. There is a major state highway that run through town and they still don't use the sidewalk.
    Thanks for listening.
    B

2. Brad7558

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    And I forgot to ask. Where has it gone?

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Ooch. Bummer.

We used to live in the city. Now that we are in a smallish town, population wise, and have nature around us, we are so much happier. It's just a natural thing I guess.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our town is 70,000 and I never run into issues like that here. Everyone knows their neighbors and are respectful for the most part. There is always someone who is rude....

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Sorry to hear that! Our total area population is about 1,600 and I love it. People are great and know the meaning of friends, family and community. Closest town is 20 miles away, population 3,000 and most would give you the shirt off their back.

I have found it is the cities up here that you find mean and self-serving people.

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That's too bad. I come from a town of 1400, everyone knows everyone; it seemed people behaved decently because bad word travels at light speed. Now I live in a city of 70,000 and am driven mad by the traffic, noisy neighbors, and complete inconsiderateness (is that a word??). DH and I are longing for the quiet country...

7. Brad7558

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    You guys really make me jealous. So much for Minnesota nice. Just kidding about that. I know it's this town. My wife grew up in a niehboring town (spelled that wrong, always do) about 15 miles away. About a year ago I worked in a small, very small town bar in the middle of no where and people from here would show up and cause problems.
    For some reason people from this place would want to go and start trouble there all the time.

From the BYC Rules:

1. Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language

Thank you for understanding.

~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Are that many people in Appleton? Wow, I never knew it had gitten so big! I moved south when it was really starting to develop. I love Green County. You could get a nice acreage and still be commuting distance. Or Princeton? LOVE that town. Berlin?? All kinds of nice small communities in driving distance

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Sorry to hear what you are going through. Favortism is seen everywhere. Not just small towns. It seems like it because it is a 'small town' and everyone knows everyone. Getting into a fight whether you provoked or not may have already labeled you as a 'trouble maker'. Couldn't you have just walked away from it? One fight is news for several days and is forgotten but 2 fights? Come on. I live outside of the city limits (small town) and our family makes a point to 'get along' with everyone. We don't have to like them but respect them they way we want to be respected. It makes us the better person. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in the future.

10. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I have lived in a city of a million and in small towns. In the city, I had great neighbors or the most part. One of the small towns was very closed and not open to newcomers. I currently live in a place very much like Mayberry. I hope I never have to move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by