Small town USA~ gotta love it!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thechickenchick, Dec 4, 2008.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I just wanted to share this cute "small town" story with you. I went to the post office to mail a package and pick up stamps. The gal at the counter was someone I used to work with at the drug store across the street. You see, everything is "just" across the street here! While weighing my package she asked me who Mrs. V Gjullin was. Thats my MIL I told her. (there is only us and them with that last name!)Well thats what I thought, she said. I have a stack of mail here that will have to be sent back to them postage due. Now you don't have to, but would you want to pay it so I can just send them out? Well of coarse I did it. It cost me a whopping 7 cents! I left the post office smiling. I love living in a small town. You see I am an import from a town 5 times this size. My son and I have been here 2 1/2 years and it feels like we have been here forever. The people are fantastic, I wouldn't change it for the world!

Anyone else have a "small town" story to share?

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I grew up in a town of 200 in NW Ohio so small town stuff to me was second nature, but then I moved to San Jose and finally San Diego, CA before moving to Oregon - a town of about 4000. When we moved in, everyone knew which house we had bought just by the address I would give them at the post office, water company etc. It's a very unique house in the middle of a bunch of older established houses with very large front windows so it catches everyone's eye and it had been on the market for a long time. About a month into living here, we were trying to pick a color to repaint the living room (it was a dark brick red) so I had splashes of paint all over it. I went to the post office and the woman behind the counter said "I think you should go with the creamy beige color in the living room. It will go nicely with the curtains you put up." Lol I was a bit taken aback but then realized "this is small town living" Everyone knows your business [​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I love that story! I bought a house in town when I first moved here. I was single then and had told my best friend that I planned on remaining that way! [​IMG] Well one day a gentleman that was trying to convince me otherwise, came to my house. His pickup was parked outside less than 10 minutes. That night my BF called to say, well so much for staying away from dating, I hear so & so was at your house! Geez! Can't get away with anything! So I married him!! [​IMG] Then moved to the country! [​IMG]

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:Way to go! Thats truly adapting to a new enviorment.

5. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Hey, I'm just in the next town over!

I really do like smaller city living. Nicer people, slower pace (everything is not an emergency), and everything is nice and close (as long is it is in your city at all [​IMG] )

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

yes isnt small town living wonderful? [​IMG] We moved to where we are now - purchased this old house (built in 1861) and its never been out of the family who built it, until we bought it. The wonderful lady is 92 and we attend church with her and sit next to her in the pew. Well - when we first moved here - we go to register our kids for school and at my sons school the principal comes out and says "Oh..yes! You're the so-and-so's! We've heard all about you..and this must be your little man! So -how do you like the house? What are your plans? etc etc etc" Hee hee! So a few weeks go by and I get this knock on the door.. I'm like [​IMG] no idea who this is so I open it slooowwwlyy, there stands this nice lady who says "Oh Hello Debbie..Ms. Hattie sent me over (the lady we purchased the house from) to check on you, she hasnt seen you all in church yet and wanted to make sure you were okay!" I was like "Uh..okay....but...who ARE you?" LOL!!
    This proceeded to go on for a few more weeks ...until we finally went to church [​IMG] Now she's like a great grandma to us all, lovely lady.

But everyone knew us before we even moved in...

ahhh..small town living [​IMG]

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

before we had even moved in, everyone near us knew that we were moving from Michigan, had two boys, and already had a horse to move onto the property.

our house is hard to find, so after a few times of hearing it from others, we just say "It's where the Janes girls used to live" everyone knows the place, then. I have never met those Janes girls, but they were obviously pretty popular [​IMG]

even now we cannot do anything without half the county knowing about it - and I love it!!

I grew up in a small town, and then moved for 20 years to a huge city - I hated the city, now that I am back into small town community, I couldn't be happier.

meri

8. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I know what you mean about small towns. We've lived in Perry a little over 9 years and love it. We moved here from SA when the base closed. Everyone is so nice and friendly. When I go to the post office to pick up chicks or eggs they know why I'm there and ask what kind I'm getting this time. It takes no time to get across town and there is really no traffic, much different from SA. When we first moved here my DD and I were driving in town and one of the Policemen waved, my DD couldn't believe it. We told our kids that they better not do any thing wrong as we would hear about it before they got home. Also if someone doesn't see you for a few days they call and check on you. I love our small town people.

9. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My town doesn't have a post office...or drug store. The town pretty much consists of one street and the only thing on that street is houses and the town hall. The bar is a few hundred yards down the highway and the gas station is in the other direction.

10. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My DH grew up here. My son now has some of the same teachers! Once in a while he will come home and ask him, did you really do that!?!
    Also if your child gets in trouble or does something wrong, chances are you will know about it before they get home! Parents love it, kids hate it! On the other hand though, I have had employees at 3 places in town compliment me on my sons politness when I wasn't around. I always remind him, I may not be there but somebody who knows me probabally is! Its nice that you can run into a teacher in the grocery store and she knows exactally whos Mom you are!

Also it seems a small community comes to the rescue when one of their own needs them. My son was in a near fatal accident over a year ago. We had only lived in town a year, but that didn't stop them! The school, churches, and kids flocked to help us. They held fund raisers, assemblies and even caravanned groups of kids to the hospital to visit him an hour away! Its fantastic! Like I said, could never give it up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by