Small trees as roosts

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
Hi, I am needing to make a bigger roost. The old one is now too small, because I, um... cough, cough... expanded! lol 25 layers and 10 bantam cochins on the way. This chicken thing is getting way too addicting.
Anyway, I know that I have seen pictures of roosts that were made out of small trees. I have access to a few small trees around here, so I am wanting to build my roost with those. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures? Is there any certain kind of tree that I need to stay away from? Thanks!

That sounds very interesting...I can't wait to see if you get some pics in your replies. We plan on re-working our outdoor run to make it taller, and I have to cut down the tree that is already in there, because it is so tall. I'd love to add a smaller one if I can. Love the look.

sassafras trees are suppose to warn away mites..(take it for what its worth) but whats good about the sassafras tree is once it seasons (drys) it wont crack...I remember thats all my grandpa had in his chicken house. Wasnt til i saw on this site about people using 2x4 and the such. My two cents.

maybe sycamore branches!!!
wink.png
They shed enough of them around my house I could build a coop with them....hmm....just kidding..
big_smile.png

We used scrap pieces of 1" by 2" and Tulip Poplar branches to make the coop ladder for our modified Chick-N-Barn...the chickens decided that it made the perfect roost, instead...

47b7d738b3127ccebce9fbc925ec00000035100FYtm7ho2Y-

47b7d738b3127ccebce912b3657a00000036100FYtm7ho2Y-

We also used a branch from our Catalpa tree for an outdoor roost in our main run.

47b8dc05b3127cceb61257d8976900000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

47b8dc05b3127cceb61257df165e00000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

We have two, downed, Sweet Gum trees that I will be turning into roosts and/or other chicken entertainment, as soon as I can use my right hand again (in about 4 more weeks...
he.gif
).

Hope this is some help!

edited for one-handed typo's

Dawn

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for sharing pictures Dawn! This is the first night my chickens have roosted on this new run, but I think they like it! You have some beautiful chickens too! What is that silver penciled one in the first picture, on the bottom? She's gorgeous!
If anyone wants to see pictures of my tree limb roost, check out my other post- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34955
It
doesn't look as good as Dawn's though!

Last edited:
smile.png
My dad has been using small trees for roost for over 30 years. They last a long time. He just goes and cuts down any tree he can find that is the right size. They stay out of the weather so they don't rot. I have a new chicken house built and I plan on finding trees for the roost. This is an excellent idea. Chickens love it!

We use trees for a lot of stuff around here. We use maple and other hardwoods, like oak. If they are over 6 feet long, dh recommends putting a support beam in that goes to the floor (depending on how you build your roosts).

Here are some roosts from inside a coop and trees we used to build a chicken yard/run.

DVC00173.jpg

DVC00176.jpg

and another coop:

COOP_DONE_024.jpg

COOP_DONE_025.jpg

COOP_DONE_027.jpg

d4496cb7.jpg

Jody

Back
Top Bottom