Small Welsummer Hen Is Getting Roughed Up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dc7603, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dc7603

dc7603 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    HELLO,

I've got 13 hens of mixed breeds, welsummers, barred rocks, americaunas, buffs and one darling little white crested black polish. I've also got two roosters...up until last week that is. The roosters were a barred rock and a recently acquired buff orpington but the barred tried to take me out a couple times so I gave him to a friend. Prior to his departure, I began noticing that one of my Welsummer hens was missing feathers at the base of her back and was limping around. Now she isn't limping but is very timid and seems to avoid the group as much as she can. I've always had an americauna hen that kept to herself and these two have befriended each other but even so, the welsummer still seems to avoid the group when she can. Trouble is, now it's winter in Iowa and I can't keep her separate because they are all in the coop (9'x13' insulated). I have never seen her being bred or picked on by any of the other hens or roo so I'm kind of at a loss. I cannot stand the thought that she is being picked on and can't get away from her abuser(s). Any suggestions on what might be occuring here? Ways to remedy it? Many thanks for any input!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She could have been attacked by a predator and escaped yet is still recovering from shock. If she doesn't have any injuies(which I would check for) and a predator is the cause, then she should get over it in a day or two. If it's the rooster then you could try giving her a saddle, which protects the hen from the rooster's claws. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by