Small white spots on my rooster's comb

Aimless Farmer

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2007
N. Central MA
I'd noticed 1 or 2 of these before, and didn't worry because they didn't seem to be anything to worry about. Now I'm noticing more. When I give them a gentle scrape with a fingernail, they seem to be part of his comb, not anything attached. He seems fine every other way, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by them at all. Are these just pigment spots, healing spots from bug bites or scratches, or some sign I should be worried about? He'a a 1 year 1 month old Ameraucana roo, and we LOVE him dearly. Any insights?

Look up "Favus" and see if pics of that look similar. It's a fungal infection type thing that affects the face and comb. Here are some pics of it on a rooster I bought a few years ago. You can use iodine on the spots or Lotrimin to clear it up, if thats what it is. Could be just dry places.
DCP_4877.jpg

Thanks, Speckled Hen. The picture was helpful, in that Elvis's spots don't look like that, at least not yet. His seem like the beads of his comb skin have gone white. Little white beads. I can't post a picture currently. However, I will do a further search of Favus, just in case it changes characteristics. I'd never heard of this, so thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom