small wings and long neck??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sach chicks, Jun 4, 2017.

1. sach chicks

sach chicks Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    New melle MO
    Got a new batch of chicks and one seems not to be growing wings like the rest of them? It was labeled as a "Hoover black pullet " in the store. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I tried to photograph it and attached the pic... small wings - 1.jpg All the other chicks are growing fine but this one?
    Thanks so much to all the mentors out there

biophiliac likes this.
  2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Can't see what wrong with it? Is it just slower feathering, or is it smaller than the others?

How old?
    @sach chicks
    Edit 6/5 FWIW my cockerels were slower feathering than the pullets. That makes their wings look smaller.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. sach chicks

sach chicks Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    New melle MO
    I've only had it a week but all the other chicks have feathers that cover the entire back of the chicken and this one only has short stubby wings that go about 1/2 way down the body. Have it in a pen with 5 little bantams and they seem to try to snuggle next to her all the time and get under wings. Could this be causing it??
    thanks

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No, this would not be a cause. If she is eating and acting and growing fine, I'd not worry. Some breeds simply feather slower than others.

biophiliac and sach chicks like this.
  5. sach chicks

sach chicks Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    New melle MO
    Thank you. Her sister is in a different pen and is fine... I'll just wait and see. I really appreciate it!

biophiliac likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by