Small wood stove for cabin

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by Ole and Lena, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Looking for a small stove for the cabin I will be building. Structure will be 12x16 and lightly insulated. Not planning on living in it long term, but may spend some significant time there in the winter months doing some logging and property improvement.

Was hoping to find a vintage stove that would be compact enough to work, but everybody locally seems to think anything old and rusty is worth collectible antique prices.

Looking into the Jotul F602 as this is the only compact stove I can find with a cooking surface. Would have liked one of the cheap Vermont "boxwood" stoves, but they don't seem to make them anymore.

Wonder what others are using in their tiny houses or hunting cabins.

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    EPA regs as of this year don't allow manufacture of stoves with emissions higher than I think 4 grams per hr. if I remember correctly. All wood stoves sold must be EPA certified. The bigger stoves are more efficient, it seems to be hard to make an efficient small one. Maybe you can find a used stove on craigslist...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    NorthTexasWink likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2017
    You can purchase a stove kit that uses either a 55 gal or a 30 gal steel drum as the main body of the stove. Last I looked they run about 50 bux plus the cost of a steel drum.

NorthTexasWink likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by