Small woodstove suggestions

erthymom2

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
I am looking into getting a small woodstove as a "back-up" heat source for our modular home.
I'd like to get a used one and not spend alot for new, any suggestions on Models I should look for?
thanks.
It will be the emergancy heater in case of power outages, etc. We had a woodstove years ago, still have the stone floor pad and heat resistant wallboard in place, along with access to the roof to place the piping in.

If you are going to put a wood stove in don't put one in that is too small. You will really like heating with wood anyway. I cut split and burn my own wood and go as long as I can with out turing on the furnace.

For brands- I like Jotul, it is a Finnish stove and very well built. The J is pronounced like a Y: Yo-tul

Vermont Castings make several models and there's another thread on here with all kinds of wood stove pictures and suggestions. Put in a search for "wood stove" and you'll find it.
Here's the link for VC:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/content/stoves

Good luck!

smile.png

The jotul is exactly what I was going to recommend, although it is not the cheapest model it is incredibly efficient. My sister heats her 2200sq foot home for the night with a few logs and I am not exaggerating (disclaimer LOL she lives in Washington state and get moderate weather) The finishes are also great looking.
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Tools/Wood-burning/

Last edited:
I have two French bulldogs and they are the most adorable dogs we have ever had. Mind you they are incredibly stubborn and not all the way potty trained, I have rose colored glasses on when it comes to them!
*he was yawning and tired of me trying to take his picture in my avatar

Last edited:
When we first moved up here on the "farm" we had a 54' trailer one dog and 3 kiddos. No elecricity for the 1st 5 mo, luckily by late Oct we got the electricity. We did have a "Baby Fisher" stove that we used to heat this trailer. We boxed in one of the windows in the living room (our bedoom) and had the stove pipe go out that hole. To push the air to the back of the trailer, we had a small window fan tacked up by the ceiling at the beginning of the hallway to force air to the back section.
Now I wouldn't suggest anyone do as we did, but it worked!
That Baby Fischer Stove now resides on a lovely curved brick hearth in my 1 1/2 story home. We still use it and it can pretty much heat up 3/4 of the house with a little fan to help push some air around. We've also cooked on it with a lot of success because of the bilevel design of the top surface.
I don't think they make Fischer Stoves anymore but I do hear the Vermont Stove Company is good place to start your search.

A good stove won't be cheap. Since you had a stove before some of this might be redundant. Some things to consider are: Who is going to install it, what is sold nearby, what are shipping costs if it isn't sold locally, catalytic vs. non-catalytic, clearance requirements, overall cost, how much area it will heat, what is the burn time, just to mention a few things.

When we lived in New Mexico we had a Lopi. We loved it.

Now we have Dutch West which is made by Vermont Castings. Lopi wasn't available locally. We haven't used the new stove yet so I can't say much about it.

Check your local Craigslist for a cheaper woodstove. You'll love saving all that money. I just found a very pretty one for FREE. Just needs some cleaning and paint.

Back
Top Bottom