Smaller chick walking unbalanced, using wing for support and sleeping a lot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Emski239, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Emski239

Emski239 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    This is my first time raising chickens and all is well except one chick. She is my smallest baby and doesn't seem to be growing as quickly. We brought eight chicks home from Rural King four days ago. Im just really worried because she is getting trampled on and would rather sleep than fight her sisters to the food. I found her this morning at 3 AM on her side being trampled by her sisters and struggling to get up. I am so concerned. She is my sweetest baby. Please help! Should I keep her separate from the other girls? I fear for her life.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you make a little divider in your brooder to separate her with food and water? Then when you are back to watch her, she can have some supervised time with the others. Take her and get her drinking and spread some smashed chick crumbles around her feet to get her eating. Get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give her a drop every so often to get vitamins and electrolytes into her. Wet chick feed in a tiny saucer may help her to eat as well. She sounds like a weak chick or a runt, and she might make it if you work with her.

Also check her vent to make sure that she doesn’t have poo blocking her from pooping.

jadip4 likes this.
  3. Emski239

Emski239 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, we only got a few drops of the electrolytes into her before she passed. She was such a sweet chick. I'm just glad that she isn't in pain anymore.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. They are all very sweet, especially the ones that struggle.

Emski239 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: