smaller chick with a swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tigerlillyrk, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tigerlillyrk

tigerlillyrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    One of my chicks is way smaller than the others, even smaller then the other chick that was the same size when i got them. He also had a swollen pussy eye which i dabbed with a wet clean cloth and now hes starting to open it a little. I also noticed that he fell on his back and got picked on by one of the bigger babies when i was taking them out to clean their cage. Now the falling incident happened first then when i picked him up i noticed the eye so he is in a cage by himself now. Is there anything i can give him to help him gain a little weight? he seems kind of weak and im worried about him

2. How old is he? Are you sure he's been eating and drinking? Boil up some eggs and give him the yolk crumbled up. Put some quik chik in his water and keep him warm. Hopefully once his eyes feel better, maybe he'll eat more?

3. tigerlillyrk

Mar 16, 2012
    hes still pretty young and i watched him eat earlier today. I hand fed him a little an hour ago also. IS there anything i can put on his eye like hydrogen peroxide or something? What is quik chik?

4. I wouldn't put peroxide on his eye. An antibiotic ointment (non-pain relieving) should help. Just a tiny bit.

Quik Chik is a vitamin/electrolyte powder you mix into their water. You can get it at any feed store this time of year as most places are selling chicks.

How old is pretty young? A week? 3 days? A month? [​IMG] Did you get them as hatchlings? If so, how long have you had them? [​IMG] Now that you have him separated, you can observe exactly how much he is eating by watching the level of food in his dish. Check to be sure he hasn't tossed most of it out onto the floor. [​IMG]

Make sure he doesn't have a poopy butt too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. tigerlillyrk

Mar 16, 2012
    lol sorry i just got them from tractor supply and i have had them since saturday. what kind of antibiotic has anyone here used before?

And im making sure he eats on his own but if he doesnt eat well could i soak some food and give it to him through a syringe?

and yes a few of them had poopy butts so ive checked them everyday for that,

also i noticed he was shaking his head a lot and hes kinda unbalanced but i didnt know if the unbalanced was just because he was young or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by