Smaller Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenFanatic447, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Last week I was lucky enough to get a Cuckoo Maran, Golden Laced Wynadotte, and a Plymouth Barred Rock for free, all of which were newly hatched and adorable. Well, these happened to be my first chickens and although I was completely prepared for these little balls of love, I really wanted to add just a few more to the mix. I just got a Black Australorp, Welsummer, and Ameraucana and am hesitant in adding them into the brooder. The older chicks are one week old and noticeably larger then the new chicks. Should I just toss them in and observe, or is there a special way to put these three into the brooder with the other three. Any help is appreciated.

2. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    This is my first time with chicks as well, so others with more experience may have better / different answers. However, I did mix chicks that were a week apart without any issues. I also later added chicks that were a couple of weeks younger, and they were fine too. I just watched closely at first to make sure there was no bullying going on, and ensured that the youngest chicks had a spot to get away if they were getting picked on, and made sure they were all able to eat and drink without getting picked on. Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Generally you can mix chicks under one month of age without a problem.

4. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    So would it be fine to throw in even another chick? [​IMG] I really like these little guys and I have my eye on a Speckled Sussex now. And okay, thank you both for your answers. I'm glad to hear that my chicks can get along relatively well.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Ah, in my experience one week of difference in age is the limit.

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    chicken math has struck again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by