Smaller duck being bullied :(

chicken mother

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
I have 7 ducks. 2 Silver Appleyard hens, 3 welsh harlequin hens, and 2 welsh harlequin drakes. One of the drakes is a lot smaller than the other ducks, and the others have started bullying him within the last few days. I’ve only seen one of the welsh harlequin hens bully him so far, so im not sure if theyre all bullying him. But its been hard giving him food and water because he won’t eat/drink when im with him, but when i leave the other ducks start to crowd around the food and water that i give him, even if they have plenty for themselves.
Hes able to get only a few drinks and bites of food before they bully him away. He hides under the duck house all day now. Is there really nothing I can do but keep him separate?
They’re four months old, not laying just yet. The bullying only started a few days ago, theyve all been getting along fine before that.

Attachments

• 48CFB66B-EDD2-4799-B795-BE01BAECAAA8.jpeg
    48CFB66B-EDD2-4799-B795-BE01BAECAAA8.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 38
  • D4311F3E-1FC7-4485-87DC-2D6F974384DB.jpeg
    D4311F3E-1FC7-4485-87DC-2D6F974384DB.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 15
I have 7 ducks. 2 Silver Appleyard hens, 3 welsh harlequin hens, and 2 welsh harlequin drakes. One of the drakes is a lot smaller than the other ducks, and the others have started bullying him within the last few days. I’ve only seen one of the welsh harlequin hens bully him so far, so im not sure if theyre all bullying him. But its been hard giving him food and water because he won’t eat/drink when im with him, but when i leave the other ducks start to crowd around the food and water that i give him, even if they have plenty for themselves.
Hes able to get only a few drinks and bites of food before they bully him away. He hides under the duck house all day now. Is there really nothing I can do but keep him separate?
They’re four months old, not laying just yet. The bullying only started a few days ago, theyve all been getting along fine before that.
there isn't much you can do but seperate the baby :( You could seperate the ducks that are the biggest bullies and see if they still bully him...

Do you have multiple food and water stations? When one of my ducks was being bullied I found that to be helpful. She could always go to another place to get resources when she got chased away from the first one.

Alternatively, can you build a separate area for the bullied duck? Either in an entirely new space, or section off an area of your coop/run for him. You could give him his own duck hens, probably the most submissive, so he won't be alone.

Back
Top Bottom