Smaller eggs after molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Oct 29, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Six of my girls are back to laying now, after their molt. Two are still molting. The rest (five) are finished, but not back to laying yet.
    I've noticed that the six girls are laying really beautiful eggs, but they're small; small as they were when we were getting pullet eggs.
    Will they return to a better size? Are the girls basically starting all over again?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I'm in the same boat with you... Small eggs and not many of them. [​IMG]

They aren't laying enough to feed our family eggs for breakfast but I refuse to buy eggs.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We can't eat ours right now because I just wormed them. I have a big bowl full of eggs on the counter that are going to waste.
    Figures they'd decide to get back to business when the eggs can't be eaten. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No one has experience with this? [​IMG]

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    My birds are in various stages of molt right now also. So far this week I've gotten 3 of the cutest little pullet sized eggs. Each looks the same so I think it's the same hen; about every other day. Everyone else is laying "normal" sized eggs. They're so cute... I never got small eggs in the beginning so I'm enjoying finding these little surprises!

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, one of my girls is laying eggs smaller than the pullet eggs I got to start.
    Thanks for your reply. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by