smaller eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Melinda48, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Do chickens lay smaller eggs in the winter? It seems my girls' eggs are smaller now than they were in the fall. I am still getting 11-12/day from my 12 girls so I am absolutely thrilled but they are a bit smaller.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have noticed this a bit when it gets real cold the eggs
    do tend to shrink a bit but do not worry as spring is just
    around the corner .........

gander007

3. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    That's interesting! I have not experienced that with my girls in the winter. How old are the hens? It can sometimes take hens a few months to settle in to laying a consistently sized egg, although I thought that they usually get larger as they get older. I wonder if it just happens to coincide with winter. It's great that you are still getting so many eggs though! Are you supplementing with light?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I would think it could happen. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep them warm and fed and with plenty of water and stuff as usual. I have never noticed smaller eggs in winter though. [​IMG] Did you change food type or anything?

5. Melinda48

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    They were born in March.we are still getting 11 eggs a day (from 12 girls). The last bag of feed my husband picked up was not pellets (as they are used to). They seem perfectly fine otherwise-guess Inwont worry bout it. :D

6. Melinda48

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the good words! It has been cruelly cold of late so I bet you're right. We will just wait for spring (and be ready to do a happy dance)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by