Smaller feed sacks because of urban chicken farmers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andalusn, Feb 24, 2011.

1. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Nutrena may have change the formula for the better but I am not happy that I lost 10 lbs in the bag weight because of it. The feed store is saying it due to all the urban chicken owners who have much smaller flocks compared to those on acreage. Not sure I agree but all I really know is now I have to buy one extra bag for the same feeding period to assure I have enough between shopping days. Oh, same price per pound but I will run out quicker if I don't add the extra bag.. [​IMG]

It's all a racket

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Confused? [​IMG] They are not 50 pound bags anymore? Did they use to come in bigger bags than 50 pounds?

3. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    Hi, Im new this yr, but our bags come in 50 lbs. or so they say that.
    Not sure what it was in the recent past. Guess we got to grow some grains in our gardens!?!?! [​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    if its the same price per pound, then whats the big deal with buying two bags of feed? like, two 25 lb bags?

5. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    The bag has new look and is gone from 50 lbs to 40 lbs. Twenty lbs over a two week feeding cycle is a big difference. Yes it's the same per pound but where I bought two bags that lasted two weeks perfectly now If I stick with that formula based on bag count I will be short 20 lbs so I buy one more bag to get me my 20 lbs with the extra sitting in the bin. Either adjust my bag math by the week or stick with the 3 and I will have always purchased more feed. The girls at the feed store also have chickens and we were figuring it out over time and it just means more sales.

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    WOW! First I have heard about this....that really stinks [​IMG]
    I use Manna Pro Egg Maker and the price has gone up a little, but it's still 50 lb bags, thankfully!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'd e-mail Nutrena and tell them you're going to a different brand of feed. They did this with pet foods several years ago and it' s annoying.

8. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I think the excuse of it being due to urbanites is nonsense. If they're charging the same price for less feed, it's just them trying to make more money. Kinda like girl scout cookies getting smaller, but the prices staying the same.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG] Are the smaller boxes of cereal for the same price because of people who have only one child? What about the smaller cans of Tuna for the same price? Tubs of yogurt?

No, no they're not. They're because it's easier to lower the amount of product than it is to raise the price. The price of grain is up and is going to continue to rise for the foreseeable future, as is the price of fuel to harvest and transport both the grains and the finished product -- the feed you're buying. They have to get their money back out of it somehow.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  10. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Oh I agree on the urban idea being nonsense. Just some verbal excuse from the supplier salesperson to his account when they ask why. I would take an honest price increase any day over reduced amount of product.

Having worked in the wholesale fuel industry for over 15 years I won't even touch that topic. Lets just say stronger markets see prices rise while other regions stay lower. There are too many factors or excuses that influence fuel prices at the local level.

Actually I am considering a note to Nutrena letting them know that while I can still get 50# bags from a different quality brand I will. I expect if one supplier falls the rest will follow. It's just when that is the unknown. I noticed my Nutrena horse "all breed" grain is up a $1 a bag for the same #50 bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by