Smallest chick not trying to eat...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nekhebet, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    ...until I bought a container of mini mealworms. The chick is probably the most recently hatched of the baby seramas I picked up yesterday. She's been vaguely disinterested in the starter and trying to sleep a lot. Anyway I threw some crickets in there and the mealworms and suddenly Tiny grew a backbone. Should I try to buy more worms and fill a bowl with them or will a random few keep her competitive? Not giving up on any of these without a fight

also the other fatties keep sitting in the food dish and she doesn't seem smart enough to eat around them... I bought a real chick feeder so I hope that also helps

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sometimes in a group of chicks where there is competition for the food and someone is left out, I find it helpful to add a second feeder. I have used pie pans and regular bowls (although they poo in it and kick the food around) for awhile until the most timid ones get braver about getting to the feeder.

I have never bought worms for chickens- sorry can't help you there. [​IMG]

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Thanks for your response. I was trying to push them aside a little so she could get a few worms here and there. After a second round of worms, she seems much better...though maybe they overate??? Is that even possible? lol
    I caught one of the smaller ones laying like it was playing dead, though it got up when I nudged it a little. Hoping it was just relaxing, but I'm definitely going to check in on them again after I put my son down for his nap and turn the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by