Smallest chicken has raw back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Saralync, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Saralync

Saralync New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Rainy muddy day in the chicken run yesterday. Looked out at the end of the day to see our smallest chicken getting picked in horrible by the other chickens her entire back is featherless, raw and bloody. We immediately brought her in the house and put Blu-Kote on the wound. She did better last night but today she is not eating as well and paces. I put her outside to enjoy some grass and put the least dominate chicken in with her for company. All she will do is pace in front of the run wanting in. She has been picked on for a while now but not this severely. Not sure what to do. Take out my Alpha chicken and put her in or keep her separated by herself or try putting a buddy with her. At this point we are even ready to give away our Alpha to help the others because she picks on everyone.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is possible that your chick being picked on is weak or ill, and others sense this, and are trying to cull it. However there are bullies in flocks which I wouldn't tolerate. I have had wyandottes bully other breeds, and my salmon faverolles are always at the bottom of the pecking order, sometimes needing to be separate. Just watch your flock (it sounds like you know what you are doing.) I would do just as you have done. Your chick will probably be better in a day or two. Check her over real well for anything unusual--crop, vent, mites, and consider worming her. Valbazen is a good one.

3. Saralync

Saralync New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Thank you so much! She laid tonight so I know she is feeling a bit better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by