Smallest Egg EVER!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2hot2chicken, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Ok people are always posting pics of their biggest eggs and everyone is amazed.....
    So today I got the smallest ever egg and HAD to post a pic.
    Sorry it was taken with my phone but you get the idea.
    Yes that is a dime! So pull a dime out of your pocket and you get the idea of how small it really is!
    Its a perfect mini egg with a hard shell and all.
    I candled it and it doesnt appear to have a yolk but I will crack it open in a week or so and find out.

Im having fun showing it off first [​IMG]

Now to figure out who layed it...... [​IMG]

You cannot tell from the pic but it is a light brown about the same color as my BR eggs which is next to it. I got 1 egg each that day from my BRs and they are the only ones that lay brown eggs I have currently laying. I have 2 laying silkies and 3 young silkies I think are pullets that are 4 months old but my roo is still not showing any interest in the young ones. But my 2 silkie hens lay eggs that are almost white.

Then I have 2 light brahmas that are 4 months old, and my roo has been chasing 1 of them and trying to mount ( soooo funny cause hes a 5 month old silkie and she is twice his size!) - Most likly who layed it?-

I thought maybe a 2nd egg from a BR but the problem is I found it under my nest boxes and my BR wont fit under there. I have 1 silkie hen that always lays there but its way to dark to be her egg. 1 of my silkie or maybe my brahma pullets could fit under there though.

So.... Maybe a new chick laying for me.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. thatbloke

thatbloke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Boulder Creek
    Just blow it and you can keep the shell intact to show your friends and you'll see whats inside it

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Some call those "fart eggs", or "fairy eggs." Cute [​IMG]

4. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Quote:I thought of that but I am afraid since its so small the shell will be thin and I don't wana risk it yet. That and if it does have a yolk it would be so cool to get a perfect mini egg! I would cook it a lil bit sunny side up just to get a good pic of it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I've just let them dry out in the past. There's no smell, they just get lighter.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Is that a Robin egg?[​IMG]

7. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Cutie pie!

8. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    How cute it that! :)

9. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Quote:Ive seen many robin eggs and I swear this is smaller! Its really sooo tiny!
    I've had "fart eggs" before but now I know where they get the term "fairy eggs"!
    Its so small fairy could have layed it [​IMG]

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I would blow it out and make an earring or pendant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by