Smallest egg I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poison Ivy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    A girl I know brought some eggs over the other day for me to incubate for her. She then pulled out this little guy and gave it to me. It is the cutest little thing. I have it next to a large brown egg. It was laid by one of her chickens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    That's awesome!!! You should blow it out and keep it forever!!! (Or give it to her to keep forever!)

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    How cute. Can you incubate it?

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Very cute! Sometimes my cousin gets a very small egg like that from her hens. Not on a regular basis, just every once and a while. I don't know if you can incubate it, but the ones we have cracked open do have both the white and the yolk inside. [​IMG]

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    She wanted me to try so I have it in the bator I don't think it will develop but told her I would try it. I want to make sure I took a picture of it incase it got broken or anything happen to it.

6. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Looks like a quail egg to me. I have a bunch in the incubator right now.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    During my girls' first season we got several small eggs like that. Sometimes they had yolks, sometimes not. They were actually smaller than Button Quail eggs. [​IMG] They grew out of it, though. Now their eggs are beyond jumbo on the list... ginormous!

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I had one like that not too long ago, it came from a barred rock hen that usually lays XL eggs.

[​IMG]

9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Some of my seramas lay eggs the size of a quail egg, very tiny and cute...........

10. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    We had a few from my birds but mostly they were more ball shaped than what you got. Those look like perfectly miniature eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by