1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smart Chicken Coop Monitoring & Control System! We NEED your input!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Babbers1691, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Babbers1691

Babbers1691 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone! I am an Electrical Engineering student doing a senior design project before I graduate. My team has chosen to do a "Smart Coop System" which will be an integrated system, easily installed in existing coops, that allows Backyard Chicken Farmers to monitor and control their coop as well as alert them to any possible issues. For our research portion of our project, I wanted to survey you all and see what features you would like to see in a system like this.

I have listed below options that we are planning to have, but please feel free to add anything you feel you would need/want. You can simply say, "I would like options #1, 3, 5." or something to that effect. It would also be extremely helpful if you could include what state or country you are located along with how many chickens you have. If this sort of system is something you would rather not have, that's okay, let us know! Your input is greatly appreciate and essential to our research portion of our project! Thanks in advanced!

#1 Temperature monitoring (alerts when temp is too high or too low depending on user settings)
    #2 Water/Feed Level alert (alerts when low)
    #3 Air Quality Control (monitors humidity, ammonia, and CO2)
    #4 Nesting Box Egg detector (detects when an egg is laid in a box)
    #5 Hen laying tracker (tracks which hen laid an egg)
    #6 Chicken Tracking (alerts when chickens get outside a perimeter such as into a garden or any other area)
    #7 Automatic Door (opens/closes on timer or by light)
    #8 Automatic Heating (turns on a "safe" heater when temp drops below a certain point)
    #9 Automatic Cooling (fan kicks on when temp gets above a certain point)
    #10 Automatic Lighting (controls coop lighting/provides more light when daylight lessens for optimal laying)
    #11 Auto Water Defroster (turns on to prevent water from freezing in low temps)
    #12 Video Camera Monitoring

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Not to seem like a jerk or anything, but I would like to see a decent warranty on it, regardless of what options it has.
    I'd vote for #11 and 12.

Also, [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I live in Virginia (USA), current flock is 13 birds, with around 10-12 more en route via hatching, purchasing for a total of around 2 dozen birds.

4. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Owen,

We are wanting a video monitoring system ... Where did you get yours and what kind did you get? Can you see inside the coop with it?

5. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    This is the system I bought - but it was only ~$79 @ Harbor Freight. It's a wire system so I only have it mounted looking towards my chicken coop & greenhouses in the front and my garden in the back. Color, IR Night vision, sound at a quality I'm pleased with. My coop is only about 100' from my house - I use a cattle panel coop/run reinforced by hardware cloth with a solid coop built inside, also reinforced with hardware cloth so I was content with my predator proofing holding - aiming it at (rather than in) my coop I can see if raccoon begin testing it and act accordingly - I'll likely start recording it at night just to be able to review on occasion. It also gives me a wide view to include my greenhouses so I can see if anything is trying to get inside there as well.

The second camera I aimed at my garden to keep track of night time visitors so I can lay the appropriate traps if necessary. I'm adding some electric netting soon because there are a ton of feral cats and irresponsible pet cat owners (man I hate cats) that screw around in there and I'm hoping to get them trained to GTFO on a permanent basis. There are also quite a few native rabbits in a neighboring field/forest that I want to keep an eye on fr thievery and such - hopefully the netting trains them both away.

If you're wanting to peek inside your coop, Walmart (Amazon, etc) have some wireless systems for a reasonable price. Some with DVRs (more expensive), some that allow you to wire into your own DVR (DirecTV, Cable, etc) for a better price.

EDIT: If you have a garden coop or something close(ish) to your house - you could run the wiring from the system I have into your coop easy enough.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Babbers1691

Babbers1691 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Understandable and I would agree! Thanks for the welcome :D

7. HensAmongCedars

HensAmongCedars Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    South Seattle
    #1 would have been nice when I lived in TX and Az, but in the temperate NW, I'll pass.

#2 sounds nice.

#6 would be great for free ranging

#8 & # 10 would be nice too.

I'm sure in cold place would like the auto defroster, but I have no need of it.

8. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I like number five and number 12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by