1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smart ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I gotta say, after having an indoor ducky for 3 weeks now, I have realized these little quackers are smart! Every morning, I have given Donny a bath. So.....I let him out of his bed, and he runs into the bathroom and jumps in the shower. Then when I am putting his diaper on, he will tuck his head in my armpit and stick his butt in the air to help me. And then he will follow me in the kitchen and circle me like a cat quacking up a storm as I get his food ready. So after 3 weeks he has his routine down! Pretty good for a bird brain!!

2. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    That's cute! What kind of duck?

3. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    12 week old Rouen. He was an outside duck for the first 9 weeks of his life, but has adapted like this is the life ducks are supposed to have!

4. CrzyChicLady

Oct 28, 2010
    That's so neat! Do you change his diaper during the day?
    My husband's gonna freak out when he gets home and I have a duck in diapers walking around! [​IMG] I'm gonna tell him it's your fault! [​IMG]

5. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    I change it every 3 hours or so. He just walks up to me, puts his head in my arm pit and sticks his butt up and I change it quick.

6. MudHog

MudHog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    at what age are ducks generally fully house trained? [​IMG]

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    That is adorable! I was not a fan of changing baby diapers so....., I'd love some pics!!!!

8. CrzyChicLady

Oct 28, 2010
    I would love to see pics too! [​IMG]

ETA: In his diaper. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    I would but hes currently in time out for puling the contents out of his diaper in a psycho duck fit while I was napping. Lesson learned. I nap, he naps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by