Smart Meters Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by enggass, Aug 22, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What's your take on these and are they in your hometown yet?

Personally, I just opted out of having mine installed. They said a letter went out at the beginning of the month informing me that it would be happening next month. I never got the letter. Glad I called!
    Also, it is going to cost me a one time charge of $40 and a monthly charge of $12 to NOT have my meter changed.
    Some say they monitor behaviors ala Big Brother and that they come with serious health risks. I cannot say for sure, but I will err on the side of caution until I know.

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    what are the smart meters monitoring? electricity?

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Yes. They replace your current Electric Mechanical Energy Meter. The thing the guy comes to your house and reads. With these new ones they do not need meter readers. All data is sent through a large network using Radio Frequencies. It can even monitor individual appliance use and energy use behaviors... etc. etc... Like I said, I don't know for sure, but conspiracy theorists are having a ball with this one.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've been on smart meters for both elec and water for at least a decade, I think. Not a conspiracy, just efficiency.

Imp

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We've had a smart meter on our house since it was built 6 years ago.

Come to think of it I am pretty sure there was a smart meter on my old house before that!

We just got the newer attachment to our air conditioner that I could see as being more intrusive than that. But, smart meters?!

They've been in use for at least a decade. Never heard peep one of a problem with health issues.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Mine switched a couple years ago. One in every thousand or so houses has some special meter that has the controls for the rest or some gibber gabber like that. Of course, my house is 800 years old and so is the electrical.....so when they installed this new meter my power wouldn't stay on. After a few days we figured out that it wa because my house was the lucky one that got the "special" meter. They swapped it out for one of the regular ones and no more problems.

Since then we have had way better service, no idea if its related but we used to lose power all the time. Not any more....

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ours were replaced mandatoryily. My electric bill went from $350 to $800. I filed a complaint with the PUC and lo and behold it is now $180. Just watch your bill.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

We went threw two changes. The first new meeter did the radio thing an they had to still drive around. The new one sends a signal down the power line....

I like not having people behind my house without notice every month. It does give them the ability to charge a different rate at different time. Bore at like 10pm than it costs at 3am. As of yet they have not done that here but those give you the ability.

9. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
  10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds like a lot of bad science trying to sell a bunch of stickers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by