Smartie's Life

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Smartie_Pants, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I am not an entirely new member, I have been here for a few months now, but never got to do an intro or a life thread. So I'm starting one now.

I live in a small, rural, farming town in Western Kentucky . I live with my mom on approximatly 3 1/2 acres here and have unoffically decided to fill it up with animals. If it was up to her, we would only have about 3 and we argue about it a lot, but animals are my passion.

I'm going to put the pics of my "family" on another post, just to make things neater.

2. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Dogs:

1.) My weiner dog Precious, she is about 5-6 years old. We got her (sadly) from a Backyard Breeder who bred dogs with genetic disc problems. She just had her second back surgery on Friday to remove another blown disc.

This was taken at Christmas last year. :

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of her back after the first surgery:

[​IMG]

After the second surgery:

[​IMG]

2.) Our old begal, Lady. She is amost 11 years old now.

[​IMG]

3 & 4.) Our two rat terrier mixes, Lucy and Molly. No pic right now.

Chickens and Ducks:

5.) The chicken that started it all. She fell off of a Tyson truck on the way to slaughter about 3 years ago. Her wing was broken and had torn through the skin and was visable, so I had to get it amputated. I named her Henrietta. She lived to be 6 to 7 months old and then we had to have her put to sleep (can't stand the though of doing it ourselves) because of heart and lung failure.

This was taken right before she started to go downhill:

[​IMG]

6.) My handicapped duck Bon Jovi. He is a Blue Swedish X Mallard. The day after he hatched he had some kind of stroke and has some mental and physcial problems. He gets around fantastically though and often chases the other males ducks around for fun. They run scared and its hilarious.

Just hatched: [​IMG]

Now:

[​IMG]

7.) Our half blind silkie rooster named "Roosty." He went blind in October out of the blue and has since regained a little of his sight. He still can still see good enough to get around the yard, and Bon Jovi (who is is best friend) helps him out when he needs it. He is the MEANEST little sucker ever! Before he went blind he would watch for you to start down the steps and here he would come, chasing you all over the yard and flocking the crap out of you! He still tries it, but usually flies through the air and hits the ground.

As a newly hatched baby (the one facing the camera.) :

[​IMG]

An adult: [​IMG]

*) My flock of chickens:

Three Toes: [​IMG]

Big Momma: [​IMG]

EE Roo: [​IMG]

EE Hen #1: [​IMG]

EE Hen #2: [​IMG]

Ancona Roo #1: [​IMG]

Ancona Roo #2: [​IMG]

Golden Comet Hen #1: [​IMG]

GC Hen #2: [​IMG]

GC Hen #3: (Identical to #2.)

BO Hen: [​IMG]

Silkie Hen: [​IMG]

Jersey Giant Hen: [​IMG]

Barred Rock Hen: [​IMG]

Cuckoo Maran Pullet: [​IMG]

C.M. Pullet #2: [​IMG]

*) My duck flock. I have 9. Out of them, 7 are blue swedish and 2 are Blue Swed X Rouen.

The Original Duck that started it all. He was a mallard.:

Baby: [​IMG]

Adult: [​IMG]

Then we got him some Blue Swedish Buddies:

[​IMG]

The only one left is the male. We call him Buddy:

[​IMG]

I haven't got any pics of the rest of the flock. I'll take some later and edit to post them.

The Cats:

We have 7 stray cats living in our yard. 6 of them I have just fallen in love with and don't want to part with. 1 of them I could never let go.

1 & 2) Mama Cat (Right) and Bunny Cat (Left.) who is the daddy. He was hurt a long time before we moved here and has to move both front legs at the same time, so he kinda "hops" like a bunny.

[​IMG]

The day the babies were born: [​IMG]

3.) Frenchie, so named for his "french" moustache and beard. He is my favorite and my baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.) Fattie. All of the "kittens" are overweight, but him and Frenchie are huge butterballs.

[​IMG]

5 & 6) Both girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7.) Another stray mama whose stuck around, don't have a pic.

My mom also has two boer goats. Besides that, that is all.

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and belated [​IMG]

OMG Frenchie is toooo cute. I would love to have ducks but I sure would not want your feed bill. Taking care of animals with special needs takes a special kind of person [​IMG] All of your animals are gorgeous [​IMG]

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Frenchie is adorable!!!! And that is a great picture of classic kitty play pose.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Taking care of animals with special needs has come very naturally to me. I want to be a vet when I grow up and hope that it will give me enough financial security so that I can buy a big farm and take them in on a large scale.

Right now I am taking care of a half blind rooster, a handicapped duck, a handicapped cat, a dog with back problems, and a chicken with only three toes on one of his feet and only 2 toenails on the other. (He was really mistreated as a small chick.)

Yeah, my feed bill is pretty steep to me, though I have no idea how it stacks up to all of your's. Let's see, here is app. how it breaks down each month:

2 fifty pound bags of dog food - 28.00

App. 20 dollars worth of cat food. - 20.00

2 Heartworm pills (we give each of the 4 dogs 1/2) - 13.00

And I mix 100 pounds of scratch (10.50 a 50 pound bag.) with about 70 pounds of layer (9.92 per 40 pound bag.) This lasts about 2 months. In the spring and summer there will be a lot less scratch, but for winter rations its just right.

So, a month - 16.00

So I'm spending about 77 dollars a month in the winter. I get money each month from my dad's disability, so until I graduate I should have no problems making this. I really don't have to buy much else, except for things I want, so I make out just fine. I take all the coin change I get from spending the 150 I get a month and put it away. That way if I ever run low I have a pretty good fall back cushion. (About 38.00 in there right now.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Heath wise, things aren't going great.

I have had a touch of a stomach bug and while I was at the doctor my mom was talking about how I am so tired all the time. I can sleep until noon and by 9:30 that night I am asleep again. I just never get any rest at all. So they did a blood test and checked for mono and blood sugar issues. All came back normal and I'm waiting on the thyroid test to come back. My money's on that. My whole family has thyroid issues -underactive- and I'm showing the signs too.

And my mom goes on the 22nd of this month to see a surgeon. She has to have knee surgery. She also has rheumatoid arthritis and can't put it off any longer. Apparently she has "something" "floating around" inside her knee that is causing it to lock up all the time and pop out of place.

7. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    The more I think about my flock, the less contented I am. My birds aren't friendly at all and they just aren't pulling their weight the way I would like. I was making up a plan for spring, and the changes I am going to make. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Rehoming:

1 Barred Rock Hen
    1 Jersey Giant Hen
    1 Cornish X Hen (nature will take care of her.)
    1 Ancona Roo
    1 Hatchery Quality BO
    1 EE Hen
    1 Silkie Hen (possibly, not sure yet.)

Then I would get some chicks of a breed that tends to be more friendly. Here is what I came up with:

5 Cochins (either Barred,Blue, Mottled, Siver Laced, Buff, Splash.)
    3 EE's.
    2 Partridge Silkies

and maybe a couple of ducklings.

Any opinions on the breeds I have chosen or the plan?

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Wow, I didn't think there was anyone out there with a bigger heart than me. You have a lot of special needs animals.

The Cochin chickens are very easy going. EEs hens are really friendly. EE roosters however are very mean. I have never had any Silkies.

Sounds like you enjoy what you do have a plan... Run with it and have fun!

[​IMG]

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You might try taming them starting when they are little and feeding them treats and holding them daily. My roo got tamed that way.
    Also, don't get RIRs -- they're great chickens, but less gentle than my BOs. My Black Langshans are extremely shy.

Loved your pics.

10. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Thanks.

Out of the ones I have, about 5 were raised from chicks. They were all between one and two weeks when I got them and they were so flighty and wild I couldn't really do anything with them even then. So I think my problem is getting flighty birds that are too old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by