Smashed chick.

LadyAchee

Crowing
May 10, 2020
Liberty Hill, TX
Urgent.. Today has been quite stressful. First I thought a hen was missing. Now this. My little runt got smashed either when I set down the brooder plate or maybe pushed by the other chicks? When I found the chick I immediately blew softly to try revive it. It was limp and I held it next to a space heater. It started gasping but it's mouth seemed dry so I gave it drips of water and it made some weak chirps. I've been warming it up inside my bra. It sounds stronger now but hasn't opened it's eyes. Any advice please? Keep it in my bra? Make a little box next to a heat lamp? It is a tiny golden neck d'Uccle.

It actually sounds like what you’ve done so far has given the chick a chance. Perhaps the “wind” got knocked out of it. If you don’t think anything’s out of place (broken), keep doing what you have been and see if it improves enough to take some more drops. You’re keeping it warm…. so important. Sorry I can’t be of more help to you. Good Wishes for your wee chick.

It actually sounds like what you’ve done so far has given the chick a chance. Perhaps the “wind” got knocked out of it. If you don’t think anything’s out of place (broken), keep doing what you have been and see if it improves enough to take some more drops. You’re keeping it warm…. so important. Sorry I can’t be of more help to you. Good Wishes for your wee chick.
It is chirping now but still hasn't opened it's eyes. Just not sure if I should keep it in my bra or set up a tiny box with a heat lamp in my bathroom.

Do you have a heat lamp? I would set that up for it to make sure its plenty warm.
Do you have Nutri-drench? Any electrolytes? If you don't have either, getting them at a feed store is a good idea, even if not for this little one. For now, mix some molasses and sugar in some water. You can give this to her in little drops. It will help her recover from shock. I hope your able to get her to recover. Crossing my fingers for you guys!

Do you have a heat lamp? I would set that up for it to make sure its plenty warm.
Do you have Nutri-drench? Any electrolytes? If you don't have either, getting them at a feed store is a good idea, even if not for this little one. For now, mix some molasses and sugar in some water. You can give this to her in little drops. It will help her recover from shock. I hope your able to get her to recover. Crossing my fingers for you guys!
I do have a heat lamp. I've been giving it tiny drops of sugar water. I had already given it egg yolk earlier before the freak accident as it wasn't moving much.

It is chirping now but still hasn't opened it's eyes. Just not sure if I should keep it in my bra or set up a tiny box with a heat lamp in my bathroom.
I do agree with Weeg on those points.The heat lamp would be best for shock and to just keep body temperature stable. I have Nutridrench on hand as well. Please keep us posted.

It perked up and started willingly drinking and was trying to walk around so I put it back with the others and will check on them often.
I would keep her separate. Weak chicks will be picked on and can be trampled. Keep her separate until she is 100% better. Continue with sugar water daily, and try to get your hands on some Nutri-Drench.

You are very correct. She was bad off again. I now have her seperated with another smaller chick in my bathtub with a heat lamp. I've never had a sick chick before so this is hard. I feel like all my research has been lost in my brain fog.

I had a chick that seemed totally dead and limp. The mom stepped on it and sat down. When all the chicks weren't accounted for I found her under mom's foot. I picked the chick up and I thought it was dead for sure, it looked at me then the neck went limp. I warmed it in my hands and it came back to life, totally recovered and was a normal healthy rooster in the end. I think shock is what kills them alot, if I didn't find it when I did it would of died. Sounds like yours will make it, have faith!

Back
Top Bottom