Smashed or Hatching?

Tiny Turtle

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
So, I have a broody hen who is trying to hatch eggs again, they should be hatching around Monday (October 3rd), but when I came home tonight, this egg appeared to be smashed. I keep a small board in front of the box to stop the others from getting in there (or at least discourage them from going in, doesn't always work), and I don't think the chickens would have smashed this egg, so I'm not sure what happened. I had a theory (first time egg hatcher pretty much) that maybe the chick broke the soft part of the shell, it deflated, then began cracking away at the harder part? I don't know, it's probably makes me sound stupid. If it's smashed, would the chick die if its supposed to hatch in a few days?

Unfortunately, that looks like a smashed egg to me, and it is highly likely any little floofball in side is likely to have perished.

Sorry, it is always hard when you lose one this late in the game :(

Technically this is my second time, but first time being aware of them being so close to hatching. I'll leave the egg there just in case, hah I can still be hopefully. Not sure what would have smashed it though. Thanks

Looks smashed to me
1f641.png

Possibly. I'll just wait and see what happens. I'm sure it won't hatch, but I would just like to see.

Does anyone think I should maybe help along with the 'hatching' of the smashed egg? Maybe if by any chance the chick survived, then maybe I could get it out?

Sorry for posting this twice.
Should I like, maybe 'assist' with hatching the egg just in case maybe by chance the chick didn't die within the egg? I'm not sure, but it'd be nice to know if it survived.

probably not a great idea. In the unlikely event that it survived "helping" it before the yolk is absorbed would kill it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom