Smell from sand in my run!

GSPx2

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
New Jersey
I put sand in my run a few weeks ago. I clean it 2 - 3 times a week and turn the sand once a week. I noticed for the past couple of days that it is starting to smell. The sand has been damp and it has been cold so it hasn't dried out for a while now. I do not have a roof over the run so when it rains it gets soaked. Does damp sand start to smell and what can I do to fix the problem?

Yes, wet sand will start to smell after while, unless you can clean 100% of the poop out of it. The type of sand also make a difference. Finer sand like play sand will retain moisture better than river sand (little rocks / pebbles). I put an aluminum roof over my run to keep everything dry - I got sick of the mud, so I put in sand and a roof at the same time. In the winter, I wrap the run in clear vinyl to keep the snow out and stop the wind.

They make a powder for use in Horse stalls that I use in my Pheasant and Peafowl runs....it reacts with urine and takes away the
smell of ammonia...comes in a 40 pound bag and cost about $12.00 here locally. It is called "PDZ", Vet approved, made by PDZ
Company LLC, spokane, Washington 99201, 1-800-367-1534, and you can go to www.sweetpdz.com It is a natural earth product,
Premium Grade Clinoptilolite. States on the bag it is All Natural , safe for the enfvironment, can be added to compost piles, stall
bedding.............what more could you ask for? Hope this helps.............tom turner (zip)

K4eqh, any issues if chickens or ducks eat the PDZ? I have heard good things about it in poop boards and such, but have always worried what happens if they eat it.

Thomasboyle............from what it says on the bag, it is a natural product and will not affect animals that may ingest it. Here is what it says in the add: you can go from there....better yet, go to their web site and look at the product. If you dont have the web or are still
having problems let me know and I can mail you what I get off the web. Here is their quote:

Sweet PDZ is the leading stall freshener on the market and is the odor control and deodorizer of choice for thousands of horse, pet and livestock owners. Sweet PDZ is an all-natural, non-hazardous and non-toxic mineral. - See more at: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...HtnPGQ1rkCFWXZQgodMmkA0w#sthash.XpZxUv0N.dpuf

This is the best I can do for you at this time....unless you need more info....let me know....I do NOT represent this product in any way,
but use it here on my bird farm, especially when "city folk" are coming to visit.......heh heh heh .....best 2 U

k4eqh ............tom...............zip

I've used PDZ for about 2 months now in my coop, and I notice that it actually smells nice and fresh every day - even on a muggy, humid day like today after last night's rain.

snOwwhite, Same here, I have used PDZ for about 6 months, and have had no issues with it. been thinking about adding a couple of cups full in the cat litter box and see if

it helps out there to, but havnt tried it as of yet.....cant hurt.........................k4eqh.............zip

Back
Top Bottom