Smell in bator after hatch starts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Apr 13, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I’m not sure if one egg has quit or not but there is a weird smell coming out of my incubator. Is this normal? The duck who has hatched early was in here too so I’m not sure if its from him or the eggs. When I removed the duck the smell stayed. Do you think one went bad? If so what do I do? Just leave it? Out of the 8 left, 5 are definitely pipped and progressing!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Best bet would be to gently pick up the eggs and smell them one by one if one is bad you will know it! dont leave it because it will explode.

3. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    But they have already pipped? Wont this dry them up if I open the bator?

4. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Chances are if they pipped already its not one of them and i could think it was from your duck other then that i dont really know im sorry i couldnt have been more help

5. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    It's okay thank you! Is it possible for them to explode this late? They better not! The bators in my bedroom...eeew [​IMG]

6. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    i have had eggs pipped that the chicks died they havent exploded for me just dont do anything but if you have eggs that arent pipped oh yeah they can explode and will and the smell is almost impossible to get rid of

7. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Does it smell like rotten egg or more like wet dirty dog?
    If it smells like rotten egg then check the ones that haven't pipped. If it smells like wet dog then it is from your hatchlings. They have a semi-icky smell when they hatch and your probably more sensitive to it because your bator is in your bedroom. Hatching is kind of a stinky slimy mess until they fluff out!
    Good hatching!

8. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Just wait until after the hatch is over. There is sometimes a smell from the newly hatched babies. Expecially after the hatched open eggs start to dry up...[​IMG].

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL I was trying to think of a way to describe the hatch smell and couldn't put my finger on it, but yes exactly wet dog is the typical duck hatching smell.

Good luck!

10. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My bator has a smell to it. I have cleaned it with clorox and let it sun dry but the smell comes back every time I plug it in. It hatches fine but just has a odor. Not a foul odor. I call it the bator smell.

It does have a wet dog smell while the chicks are hatching and afterwards to a certain extent. Not overly bad though.

I guess the foam sucked up the smell and no matter what I clean it with it does not go away.

If it was bad I would not be able to hatch chicks in the house. It would have to move back to the basement.

You will surely know if you have a bad egg in the bator. Last hatch I had a chick to die while pipping. It did not smell bad. I got it out after the hatch was over.

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by