1. guss

guss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Ive had my chicken coop for a week now and my neighbor is complaining about the smell. he says everytime the wind blows it stinks. i go back and it smells like pine shvings to me. what should i do?

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Don't know where you live or how many birds you have. I do know that sometimes is not the coop thats smells but the run. I know there are times when it gets wet you can smell chicken poop. If you can put up a fence and grow some flowery vines on it. Annuals are good and you really don't have to do alot of work. Just pick something like Scarlet runner beans, nothing that will hurt you chickens. If you have a run plant some near it. Plant them back from the run and run some string over to it and up about two feet, where the birds can't get to it. Runner beans have pretty red and white flowers and should cover the side of the run nearest his property. You can plant the every year. I have Lilacs planted on one side of my run.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    FarmTek and others also sell wind breaks (I think by the foot) which might be a possibility if it becomes a real problem. I'm just starting out, and have been considering this possible problem as well. I like the idea of the runner beans, though. Think I might try that first.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Your neighbor might be smelling something other than your chickens. Either that, or the neighbor is just determined to find something to complain about. If there really is no smell coming from your chickens, there isn't much you can do about it.

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't imagine the run smells after only a week! Either way, you can till it up if you have a tiller or even put sand down... that should keep the smell way down.

6. guss

guss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    ok i did some investigating around the neighbors after he went to work. there is something dead either next to in the bushes or under his house. i knew it wasnt the chickens!!! thanks. im pretty big on chicken hygene cause im not fond of the smell myself.

7. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    [​IMG] Whew!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Figures... [​IMG] shame on him for blaming those cute little innocent chickens... [​IMG]

9. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    My idea is not to tell my neighbors about the chickens until I bring over some lovely fresh eggs. I'm being VERY conscientious about pests and smells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by