1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

smells?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spoolin, Apr 22, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    is there anything you can do to get the smell of chicken away? i got used to it, but my family and friends say it stinks. and yes i do clean up the crap...

2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Right now my babies don't smell, but I would be interested to see if anybody else has a real answer.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Fewer chickens (or same number but in a larger area) helps.

Smell is largely related to dampness. The drier the coop and run, the faster the poo gets crispy/dusty and stops smelling.

A droppings board under the roost, cleaned first thing every morning with the poo disposed of elsewhere, will help a fair bit.

(e.t.a. - you can add stall powders (Sweet PDZ, etc etc) which will help to some extent, especially indoors, but will not solve a fundamental problem).

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I have seen this air freshener at TSC. It's livestock safe. IDK?? It might work, but i have never used it before. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use FOOD GRADE DE or Stall Dry. Maybe I'm just used to the smell but I don't notice it and no one who goes around my birds have mentioned anything. As long as you keep the dampness out less stink, and good ventilation.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with the above. Keeping dampness to a minimum really cuts down on smell.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Is it the run or the coop that you are having the problem with? Or both? Sand in the run and enough wood shavings in the coop help a lot. What are you using now?

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I think keeping everything clean and dry as much as you can really helps with the smell. I rake out my straw/hay once a week. Keep them in larger areas, things like that help cut down but face it...a chicken is gonna smell like a chicken [​IMG]

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    a lot of people swear by the food grade DE. mine don't stink yet, but they're outside almost all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by