1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smelly and runny nose. Stuffy breathing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taylatequila, Dec 12, 2016.

1. taylatequila

taylatequila New Egg

Nov 25, 2016
    Cardiff, U.K
    Hi,

My chook has been indoors for the past month or two now after a dog attack, all healed up now so she's okay but we've decided to let her stay inside as she's half blind and struggles to get about (feet problems, a 'sitting duck' for the dog).

so anyway, I've noticed she's sounded a bit stuffy with her breathing and when I wiped her nose to clear it of anything there was quite a bit of dried gunk. I hadn't noticed it because of the colour of her beak and family have been sorting her most days as I work long hours.

It's only coming from the one nostril. She has no bubbly eyes. Stuffy breathing. Clear discharge. It smells like old sweaty socks to be honest with you.. Not nice. I'd say perhaps two weeks now since I first cleared her nose of dried gunk and thought nothing of it at the time, she'd made a mess with food so I thought it was that.

She's eating and drinking fine, seems fine in herself and was on baytril for the dog bite. She's started laying again now so I'm not too concerned but obviously don't want her uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Could be Coryza although her symptoms are not that bad.She definitely has a respiratory disease which can be treated with Tylan 50.How does her crop feel?

3. taylatequila

taylatequila New Egg

Nov 25, 2016
    Cardiff, U.K
    How would I go about getting tylan 50? Is that vet only? We are in the U.K. Her crop is fine, emptying overnight, never overly hard as she drinks quite a lot
    Thanks

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. taylatequila

taylatequila New Egg

Nov 25, 2016
    Cardiff, U.K
    Here in the uk it is a vet only medicine.. There's a £40 fee just to be seen by a vet and then whatever extra it is for the meds. At the moment I just can't afford it so does anyone know any other remedies? So much here is vet only it's ridiculous.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    VetRX,Terramycin,Duramycin

7. elaineinspain

elaineinspain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2016
    I know your problem - I'm in Spain and vets here are ridiculously expensive. you could try fogging her with a nebuliser. You can go the holistic route and put some lavender drops, tea tree drops or bergamot drops in (only 2 - 3 drops per 6ml distilled water in the medicine holder. Put her in a small space (box, or cat carrier, with a towel or sheet over - somewhere to trap the nebulised air in so she breathes it) and try that 2 or 3 times a day for at least ten minutes until you see improvement, Or you can go the "heavy artillery" route and nebulise her with Oxine - which is sodium chlorite here in Europe - buy it online. You'll need to make the sodium chlorite into a 2% dilution, then dilute that again 50ml in one litre of distilled water and nebulise her with that. this link explains it all - http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

good luck!
    (Maybe we should start a campaign for affordable vets in Europe!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by