Smelly cat!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NoseyChickens, Dec 15, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Around Halloween we found this little kitten trapped in our back fence. So of course she had to come live with us. Had her checked out and she is healthy as can be. Probably about 3-4 months old. She has quickly taken to the family and LOVES living inside. HOWEVER.......she stinks! Well not her , but her poo! We have had one cat before. She did not stink. Could it be her food? I am going into town tomorrow and was planning on trying a different kind of litter. One stronger perhaps. But could anyone out there recomend a not to pricey kind of kitten food. She has been eating Boots and Barkley brand kitten food from Target.

2. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I have noticed the type of food makes a difference. Usually salmon smells really bad to me but is gobbled up the quickest!

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Low quality foods like the one you just mentioned can certainly cause a bad stench! I would go to TSC for better brads such as Taste of the Wild or 4health. Or you could get Wellness Core, or some others I can't seem to remember right now, from Petco or Petsmart. It will cost more, but it's worth it! [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Tricia, at PetSmart they have Arm & Hammer litter that covers BOTH odors and I swear by it. Mr. Yackers poop smells up the whole house and this stuff works.

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can get it all taken care of tomorrow! Cause sweet Mary! That cat stinks.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    We use the Arm and Hammer stuff that debi is talking about. Works GREAT for ferret poo, which smells just plain awful.

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    The food they eat makes a HUGE difference.

Special Kitty (Walmart) is atrocious. Meow Mix is Pew Mix. Etc.

Purina One was an improvement.

Science Diet is my new best friend. I switched them to that a year ago. The litter odor is barely detectable even if you were to miss a couple of days scooping...and I have three cats w/ one litter pan! They digest the food better, too. There is simply less waste in the litter pan...

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Cats don't handle carbs well. Even though the food might cost more, you end up feeding less, using less litter, and having less smell. We feed mostly canned now, due to the vet's recommendation, but when we go on vacation they get a high quality kibble...usually Evo.

The better quality kibble makes a huge difference in the amount of poo, and the smell.

9. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Well Holy Cow! One day and I can already tell a difference! Went out and got her the new Arm and Hammer litter, and the highest quaility Iams food (it's something new) they had. They don't have cat food at the feed store so I was stuck with Target, so Iams was the best I could get. I cannot believe the difference after only one day. I mean her poo still stinks, but at least we don't all want to run screaming from the house every time now. Thansk everyone for your advice.

10. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] Iams is still a low quality food though. You might want to check out Petco and Petsmart. I hope you find a food that works for you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by