Smelly Cats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by magoochie, Jan 2, 2011.

1. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    ok, i have 3 cats. 1 is a longhaired tabby, and 2 are bengals. None of them are from the same family. The tabby is mainly an outdoor cat, but comes in when its cold. The bengals never go outside.

My husband and I have had cats before, but they have never smelled like these! They have GAS!!! [​IMG]

Everyday they have gas! And I mean knock you off your stool, worse than the dog gas!

We have tried different foods, etc. But nothing helps. We currently feed Taste of the Wild, and they have been on that for a couple months. They all have good appetites as well.

P U [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The tabby just dropped a bomb as I wrote this!

When we first picked up the tabby, he let one go in the truck and we about died! so we know he was gassy before ever coming here. What could it be? Does anyone else have this problem? All the stools are solid, fecal tests are normal, and they are not sick. Help!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. jkraiderfan

jkraiderfan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2007
    sebastopol
  3. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    if you can afford it reasearch the raw diet for cats. Bengals are 'exotics' and my friend has one. she feeds wellness and raw chicken, with a side of this taurine powder.

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I have looked into the raw diets, but its not really an option for us. Money-wise and time wise.

I was reading some stuff online. It says when they swallow air it can cause gas. I know when i give them a can of food in the morning they hork it down pretty fast, and they are mostly gassy in the afternoon. I wonder if that could be it?

The vet says the fecal exams are clear. So I know it isnt worms, or a disease or something. Its just really odd and it STINKS! lol

5. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Stop feeding them canned food. That's the advice I've given anyone who has complained about stinky cats. It doesn't seem to matter what brand it is, canned food = cleared room.

See if that helps at all.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I agree that you should try getting rid of the canned food.

Also, we saw a huge difference when we switched to a diet of ONLY Science Diet. Even the litter pan doesn't smell after that change. I have one litter pan for three cats. It's not even stinky if I have to be away for a couple of days. (litter = Tidy Cat, scoopable for multiple cats).

Edited to add: If someone decides they need a "treat" and gives them canned food, then that changes the whole situation. Then we deal with a stinky litter pan, gassy cats, and vomit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    May I ask what kind of food other than canned food you are feeding? I had a f4 or 5 Bengal up until about 2 months ago. DD accidentally let her out an she was HBC. I currently have a 1/2 Bengal and was given an emaciated pregnant Siamese (luckly she lost the babies) 3 weeks ago. I have found that Bengal and other hybridized cats need a high protien no carb diet or as low carb as you can get. You really should get them off the canned food. It is not doing them or their teeth any good. The hard food helps clean their teeth.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I think the smell of cat....uh......waste, no matter what you feed, can knock a buzzard off of a gut wagon! [​IMG]

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, that really stinks! [​IMG] I had a gassy DSH, just a plain old black cat, and nothing would ever change it! Gassy in the car when we picked him up and gassy ever since! We fed Science Diet and he was fed other food before we got him, and he was just a smelly little fart! Sorry to not have better news for ya!

I guess the moral of the story is, if it's feline and it farts in the car, take it back before you get it home and it starts growing on you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Actually..canned food is better health wise for your cats.... (so my vets say...[​IMG]..)
    Especially if you have male cats.
    I have yet to switch mine over to canned.... dry is just much easier to feed.
    But i reallly want to switch mine over to wet soon....
    The vet said that they need the extra moisture and whatever with the wet food... and cats that on a wet food diet have less chance of kidney/urinary problems.. (which is my biggest fear with all my male cats)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by