Smelly Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peep-Chicken, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 8 chicks right now. The oldest female is the only one the smells weird. She doesn't smell like dirty chick smell, almost like rotten eggs. The others you can hold without gagging at the smell. She loves to be held so I feel bad I don't hold her because she smells so weird. She smells around the face, I think. I don't go around smelling chicks, so I don't know for sure lol.

Why is she the only one that stinks and what can I do about it?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If she smells near her head, it may be a problem in her crop. Feel the crop. Is it overly full and squishy? Or is it almost empty with maybe a tiny hard, rock-like lump?

Compare her crop to the others. How is it different, if any?

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I never even thought of that! I'll check get crop right away and see if it's different. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Her crop is empty compared with my other chicks.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old are these chicks? Have you examined this chick for pasty-butt? If she's pasted over, that would gum up her works so she would quit eating.

It could be impacted crop. See if you can get some olive oil into her. You may need to soak some bread crumbs in the oil to get her to take it, or try syringing it directly into her beak. Then massage her crop.

Have you watched her to see if she trying to eat? How does she behave? Lethargic? Is she unsteady on her feet? Is she pooping? Separate her so you can check her poop. It can tell you a lot about the state of her health.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    She's three weeks old. I see her eat, her crop just doesn't seem to fill. She still cheeps and is active. When I open the cage door, she hops up and wants to get out to sit on you. Sometimes randomly during the night, she will 'dust bathe' in her bedding, I don't know why she does this.

I'll seperate her and let you know.

Thanks so much! I never knew young chicks could have crop issues.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You need to know if she is pooping. And how much she is pooping. I would run some vitamins and probiotics in their water. Make sure she is drinking. If she is not eating enough for her crop to appear at least partially full in the day time, there is something going on with her.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There's a potential real medical emergency going on with this chick, and I doubt the OP realizes it.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It may sound cold, but toss the chick. Get rid of it. It's only the beginning of chick season.
    You can replace it. I don't know what is wrong with it. However, the chances of one chick
    possibly infecting 7 others is not worth it. The protection of the health of the whole flock
    is what matters.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  10. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's Ebony.
    My other two older chicks don't seem to have anything in their crops as well. I hatched them 12-13-14. My Christmas chicks are doing okay.

What can I do for them?

Thanks everyone, I really don't want to loose her or the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by