Smelly chicken

petra56

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Seguin Texas
Hi everyone! I have a houdan hen that is about 5 months. She acts perfectly fine and eats and drinks like she always has. I have noticed the last couple of days when I hold her that she has an awful smell and it seems like it's coming from her nose or mouth. She does have a little bit of food around her nose which I've wondered how to get out, but I wouldn't think it would be that. I have no idea what it is. The other chickens don't smell. Any ideas???? Thank you!

Layer crumbles. They also get treats like grapes, sunflower seeds, and chicken scratch. But there are 4 chickens together and they get less than a 1/4 of a cup (total) when the treats are combined.

I have a hen that smells like that when I pick her up also, she's the only one. But she's currently got a runny nose (some kind of URI) and the mix of whatever she was eating stuck to her beak so I'm sure its a combination of things for my lady. Is yours sick or possibly getting sick? Has she always been smelly?

I've noticed it the last couple of days. She doesn't act sick at all. That's what's so weird. I have noticed a little bit of what you'd call a runny nose I guess but mainly just wet. Not much at all. I wondered if it was the food right at the edge of her nostrils but don't know how to get it out without pushing it in her nose. I've never had chicken until this past 9 months so I'm not sure what would hurt them as far as cleaning them up like that. Frustrating!!!

You could take some mild saline solution or warm water and a q-tip or very soft toothbrush and gently clean her beak.

I was thinking sour crop maybe as well. Check her vent for redness also. As many will tell you here, until something is radically wrong chickens hide illness very well..it is a survival skill. Feel her crop and check that in the morning and at night...it should be empty in the morning....

given that chickens hide illness so well, good for you for noticing this small symptom so quickly...

Thank everyone for all the help. I will check her crop first thing in the morning. I didn't realize Chickens could have so many problems. I thought they would be easy to take care of compared to dogs and cats. Lol
I love all my chickens, but can only catch about 4 of them to check them closely. The one I'm talking about is one of the 6 that live in a large greenhouse (no plants). It has two large doorway openings and the bottom has shavings. My 4 bigger hens will go out with my other flock (5) in the Spring so they will be approx the same size. But I intend to keep my polish and houdan hens in the greenhouse together since they are so much smaller. I keep it clean. They will be in a covered pen outside when the weather is nice enough. (Protected from hawks). Thanks again! I'm a worry wart when it comes to my many animals!!
1f60a.png

I used to go in and pet the chickens in the coop at night until the rooster decided to attack me one day. He has tried it a couple of more times so I carry a bamboo stick with me and show it to him when he looks at me weird and he leaves me alone. I don't know what got into him because he was pretty calm. I'm afraid to get rid of him because someone might make soup out of him because of his attitude. Lol

Back
Top Bottom