Smelly Easter Egger...what could be the problem???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sassy1967, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Sassy1967

Sassy1967 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I recently bought a EE from a friend and when I got her home, I noticed that she had a really bad odor to her. I suppose if I were to describe it, it would be like decay. She's only 1 1/2 yrs old and has a few missing feathers, but no bald spots. She's seems ok otherwise. She stays in the coop and run when I let the others out to free range, but I'm assuming it's because she's new and not ready to explore yet. What could this smell be?? None of my other chicks smell like this.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I wish you wouldve quarantined her for at least 30 days before introducing her to your flock. If I were you, I would isolate her away from your birds til you find out what is going on with her and hope she didnt introduce a disease to your birds. Inspect her closely for external parasites especially around the vent area. Make sure her rear end is free from feces, the foul odor could enaminate from that area. Check for injuries, especially on her sides...there may be unseen wounds from a rooster treading her. Her underside and rear could possibly have broken egg yolk/whites matted on her causing the odor, she would need a bath. Finally, the worst one of all would be infectious coryza. Coryza exudes a foul odor about the nostrils/head area. Here's a link for respiratory problems in poultry, scroll down to Infectious Coryza:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Sassy1967

Sassy1967 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Alabama
    Thank you so much for your response. I wish I'd have thought to separate her as well. I'm new at this and there's still so much to learn. I'll give her a thorough look over and hopefully the culprit is one of the more minor problems instead of a major one. Thanks again for your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by